Heating - Pl Help .

We just moved into our condo recently . We donot know how to find out what type of Furnace we have .The heat pump is located outside the condo . The Air Handler unit and the water heater are on the attic .We have a Trane XT-500 thermostat for which I have no manual to set the temperatures . We have been just adjusting at random . I am unable to get an online info on the thermostat . Can someone help me how to identify the type of heat pump and furnace we have . Everything in the condo works on electricity . The previous owner told me that some gas needs to be filled periodically . Please help .
Thanks , Kam

Well.....two options.
1-Go look at the unit. Read the nameplate. 2-call a service company to service it and they can tell you.
You most likely have what is know as a "split system heat pump" It cools in the summer and reverses in the winter for heat. It probably also has electric heat coils installed in the attic. Check out this web page http://www.randrac.com/xt500.htm for some info on the thermostat. With that type of system, it's a waste of money to keep adjusting the thermostat. Decide on a comfortable temperature and leave it there. The fact that the previous owner told you that gas needs to be added periodically, means that the system has a Freon leak. This is against EPA regulations, so get someone out there to find and repair the leak.

Yes Bob , you are absolutely correct . Thanks a lot for the info on heat pump and the thermostat .
Warm regards , Kam

For the thermostat, three options.
E-mail the company and ask for an owner's manual: http://www.trane.com/Residential/CustomerCare/Feedback.aspx
Contact a local dealer and have them order you a manual: http://www.trane.com/Residential/DealerInfo/DealerInfo.aspx
Look at other owner's manuals and see the product looks identical to your thermostat. Sometimes manufacturers change model numbers, and add a minor feature or two, but the operation remains the same: http://www.trane.com/Residential/TraneOwners/OwnersManuals.aspx
Many thanks for the help on the thermostats . I think I should be able to find solution with some of the models listed .
Warm regards , Kam
Doug Kanter wrote:

Hi , I find the Aux Heat bulb lights up at times and goes off but the system bulb remain ON and the fan keeps running . What does it indicate . The system bulb goes off when the fan is not running , that is understandable .
Kam