heating : pipes making noise

I have oil heat, that sends hot water through the pipes upstairs to heat the house through the heat registars.. And i always have a hard time sleeping because the pipes make that creaking/knocking/pounding type sound.. I cant tell if its just the pipes making that sound or because it is expanding against the sheetrock.. Is there anyway to reduce or eliminate this sound? i just moved into this house a few months ago..
thanks mike
You could try bleeding the air out of your system. Also, you can install an air separator that will remove air in your pipes on a constant basis. I installed one and no noises.

Hello.. Could you tell me how to bleed the air out..is that hard to do...or should i just get the separator..I never heard of an air seperator..
I came up with this search result on overture : http://www.overture.com/d/search/?type=home&mkt=us&Keywords=air+seperator , but i dont know if those are what i need..
any info would be much appreciated..
thanks mike
It's hard to explain how to bleed the air out of your pipes. I would call a professional and watch him do it and then you'll have the knowledge for next time. Call a supply house and ask about an air separator.