Heating oil prices give the shivers

"While natural gas prices have plummeted to 10-year lows, heating oil prices have been steadily rising for years and are expected to reach record levels this winter, precipitated by higher costs for crude oil and the shutdown of several crucial refineries in the Northeast and in Europe. The Energy Department projects a price of $3.79 a gallon over the next few months, more than a dollar above the winter average for the last five years."
Brrrr!
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/business/heating-oil-costs-surge-and-many-in-northeast-cant-switch.html?_r=1&ref=science

So it makes perfect sense to cancel the Canadian pipeline project...yeah right.
Joe
On 23/01/2012 6:37 AM, HeyBub wrote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/business/heating-oil-costs-surge-and-many-in-northeast-cant-switch.html?_r=1&ref=science
My last fill up, three weeks ago, was $108.9 a litre plus 13% HST (Harmonized Sales Tax) on top of that. This is in Ontario, Canada. So, in my opinion, you're still getting off cheap. Enjoy it while you can.
Gil

yes, I would like to see a federal initiative to build out natural gas to neighborhoods that don't have it and replace oil fired home heating with NG.
that will provide jobs, reduce oil imports help the trade imbalance lower energy cost for homeowners
it's a win win win
Mark
On 1/23/2012 4:51 PM, Gil wrote:

OK, that says One Hundred Eight Dollars and 90 Cents a Litre. Any chance that decimal point is off 2 digits?
Or maybe the Canadians are having runaway inflation? Perhaps the threat of the Strait of Hormuz has been doing some on the price of petrol?
That works out about $466.20 per US gallon.

OK, that says One Hundred Eight Dollars and 90 Cents a Litre. Any chance that decimal point is off 2 digits?
On 23/01/2012 8:20 PM, Tony Miklos wrote:

Probably a good chance. You got Me! You're right - should be $1.089.

Outside Toronto it's $1.22 a litre today. That includes sales tax of 13%. 1 litre is a wee bit bit more than a US quart.
Whats funny is even though Canada has the second largest proven reserves of crude oil in the world, we need the Americans to turn it into gasoline for us because our own refining capacity can't handle too much oil sands "oil".
Therefore Canada is not just a large exporter of oil to the USA, Canada is also one of the largest importers of oil from the USA.
Talk about a catch-22 for Canadians
On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 20:20:52 -0500, Tony Miklos

I'm sure it is and it is still relatively cheap compared to Europe. When I was there a couple of months ago, it was 1.45 Euro per liter or about $1.87 US. Little wonder that they keep there houses in the 50's rather than the 68-72 we've become used to here.

No....the oil (for cars)you buy in service stations is around 1.40, but heating oil is around 1 euro; that's quite enough. It was 0.75 euro a year and a half ago.

Depends on the country and it varies considerably.
The owner of the villa we rented in Italy said it is about the same for diesel fuel as for heating oil. This will give you some idea of the prices http://www.energy.eu /

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/business/heating-oil-costs-surge-and-many-in-northeast-cant-switch.html?_r=1&ref=science
My relation runs electric, something like half the price of using oil. I wonder what price the us sells all that exported fuel? Our biggest export.
Greg
On 1/23/2012 5:37 AM, HeyBub wrote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/business/heating-oil-costs-surge-and-many-in-northeast-cant-switch.html?_r=1&ref=science
I don't know anyone who uses oil for home heating here in Alabamastan. All I've ever seen around here for fuel to heat homes is wood, propane or natural gas. I've often wondered why oil heat is so prevalent in the Northern states unless it has to do with older infrastructure and the availability of NG in those areas.
TDD

Here in the NE (speaking from experience in MA, NY, NJ) it's older infrastructure, ie older homes used initially coal or oil for firing heating systems. And then it became for many easier to do upkeep, repair and modernization on those furnaces. Anyone who has a chance should change to NG, and many have. The things to weigh is that on the one hand, you pay for oil upfront at a price that's at the whim of the market, while for NG you pay after it is consumed. (budget plans generally available). On the other hand changing over means paying a rather big one-time set of charges - removal of oil tank, and purchase of a new system.
--
Best regards
Han
On 1/25/2012 6:13 AM, Han wrote:

Many older homes here to had coal burning furnaces for heat using the old "octopus" duct work that used convection to move the air. Many were converted to NG burners years later with many being replaced by more modern forced air systems during remodels. ^_^
TDD

We had a NG fired steam heat system in the home we bought in 1998. We remodeled and replaced the system with a pumped hot water baseboard system, again NG when everything was open. Whether there ever was oil here I am not sure - the only evidence is a ridge on the basement floor that might have covered an oil line, no evidence of an oil tank anywhere. But the remnants of a coal chute are still there ... Home dates from 1929, one of the first in Radburn, which a few year ago received recognition as a national historic site, and where architecture students from all over come to gawk/yawn/admire ... <http://radburn.org
--
Best regards
Han

I'd change at any time. The problem though, is the lack of a NG line on my street. When I moved here, I was the only house, about $30,000 from the nearest gas line. Two more houses have been built since, but it would still be tens of thousands of bucks to run a line to the three of us.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

DIY

They won't let me dig up the street for a half block or so and cross an intersection.