Heating duct through block wall?

The heating contractor wants run a duct up from the cellar through the living room floor and then turn 90 degrees to go through the wall to the adjacent room that is on a slab. He says he'll box it in, but this will leave an obstruction 8 inches out into the living room floor. Any reason I can't remove a concrete block and come up through the sill plate and run the duct up inside the wall? Any reason the contractor won't do it?

Bob

Reply to
RobertM

You need to make sure you won't cause any structural problems with the home, and you must maintain the same size duct all the way, with as few turns as possible.

Reply to
Bob

Same number of turns either way. He said it would be a lot of work to go through the block. I can rent a hammer chisel to cut the block and then cut the hole in the sill plate with a Sawzall in less time than it takes for the contractor to explain why he can't do it. Perhaps if I offered him the option that he can run the duct and I'll do the work of making the hole.

Bob

Reply to
RobertM

Same number of turns either way. He said it would be a lot of work to go through the block. I can rent a hammer chisel to cut the block and then

cut the hole in the sill plate with a Sawzall in less time than it takes for the contractor to explain why he can't do it. Perhaps if I offered him the option that he can run the duct and I'll do the work of making the hole.

Bob

lazy contractor:( Are you SURE you trust him with the whole job??

The boxed in area he wanted to create would permanetely devalue your home:(:(

If he is cutting corners on such a obviuous thing what about what you cant see?

Reply to
hallerb

Thanks, I think I'll get a quote from someone else. Won't hurt to ask a couple of other heating contractors. I just wondered how far heating contractors go, and if this type of work was something that a heating contractor would consider as something that should be done by a general contractor.

Bob

Reply to
RobertM

Reply to
Bob

Reply to
Rusht Limpalless

maybe ground dampness, insulating considerations, loss of heat, efficient ducts run thru conditioned space not attics and basement crawl spaces. read all the links that apply at this site as they pertain to your who-what-where-when-why-and how for your climate, construction style, ground environment:

buffalobill

This is a completely new system. We're talking in the $6000 price range, so I can't see someone not wanting to do it right. I'm not asking them to do it for nothing. If they said it would cost an extra $100 I'd have said yes. It appears they simply don't want to be bothered.

Bob

Reply to
RobertM

I have some ducts run through a block wall in my home. It works out well since the standard HVAC ducts are 8" high (with varying widths), so up to a 16" wide duct fits in the space of one block. It's very easy to remove blocks with a hammer and chisel.

Reply to
DT

I just phoned a general contractor. He says sure he'll cut the holes, no problem and add extra support if needed. But the doubt about the heating contractor remains. I'll still shop around on that. As pointed out, if the heating contractor wants to cut corners on this, what else is he cutting corners on that I won't be aware of?

Bob

Reply to
RobertM

Not that you're disaggreeeing....

If I read correcttly, they dno't give any reason. You're reasons might be good -- I'm not there to tell -- but if they can't express what their reason is, I'd be very unhappy.

mm

Maybe you could make that 8 inch high box in your living room into an altar or a feeding table for your dog. Or a launch pad for IRBMs, InterRoom Ballistic Missiles.

mm

Only way I would consider running a duct like that (through finished living space at floor level) would be if I could painlessly bury it in the bottom foot of a built-in bookcase or something. Yeah, notching out a block wall and sill is a PITA, but sometimes there is no easy way to do a retrofit. I'll be facing something similar here when I replace the long-past-service-life furnace, and extend the ducts into the addition to get rid of this damn secondary wall furnace. But at least I have a decently deep crawl space under the addition- the only hard part will be getting through 2 poured foundation walls for the duct runs. How much does drilling

8-inch holes through reinforced concrete walls cost again? :^(

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers

If you're adding more than one or two branch ducts, be sure to do a Manual D, because you'll probably need to increase the size of your supply and return trunk ducts.

Reply to
Bob

Reply to
Bob

New heating system, not just a branch.

Bob

Reply to
RobertM

The salesman is the owner of the company. No contract yet. I had just wondering if his lack of enthusiasm for doing work was related to something structural or to cost savings on his part. After talking with the general contractor, I'm convinced I need to find a different heating contractor. I didn't want to be calling one heating person after another if this was something that shouldn't be done, but it appears the first guy simply wants a quick job, in and out, no muss no fuss and collect his money.

Bob

Reply to
RobertM

That is why I will be hiring (and probably paying dearly for) expert assistance. The bids I get will specify that I want a whole-house study, not just a light-bulb switchout. I know just enough to be dangerous, and this will probably be a 4-5 K job minimum, so I won't cry over a few hundred for the guy to do a site survey.

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers