Heating duct insulation

Hi, The sheet metal ducts from furnace run around in my basement. I wonder if it is worthwhile to wrap them with some kind of insulation? I guess there must be a huge heat loss down there. Any advice? John

I did mine because in the summer the AC made the basement to cool, Insulate and you will be cooler in winter , if you use your basement you might need a new supply cut in for the basement, If you go ahead there is duct insulation, mine are circular, I removed the ducts slid on insulation and sealed the joints with mastic.
John61 wrote:

John61;
Is the basement occupied? Do you want to keep the basement warm to prevent your water pipes from freezing? Generally speaking, heat rises anyway. If it's a unoccupied area, you might want to insulate. You can purchase 1" fiberglass insulation [for this purpose] in 100' x 72" rolls. Cut what you need to go around the pipe [either square or round] and secure with spray glue, wire, or nail [like a diaper] or both.
--
Zyp

prevent
Freezing pipes in a basement? Not likely.