Heating and Cooling Load Analysis

Is there a site on-line site where I can do a heating and cooling load analysis on my home? I would like to determine the proper size of heat pump to use. I found several sites where software could be purchased, but I only need it once.
Dick wrote:

Personally considering the cost of an error, I would rather have someone who knows their trade do the measuring and hopefully notice any unusual situations to factor in, than to rely on myself. I would also want whoever was going to install it to do the numbers for me. I would question anyone who would install it without doing the numbers thenself.
--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
I wish him luck finding a HVAC "pro" who takes the time to do the numbers. I had to call up 6 guys to find one. The first 5 said, something like, "in this area, with this size house, you need about a 3 ton system".

Well then it sounds like this is an excellent way to weed out the hacks before you ever spend a dime.
Art wrote:

As Matt said, you just found out you don't want to do business with any of those five. That is sure worth the question.
--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Never knew that daveinIllinois (aka DNandB) had 5 different phone numbers

someone
whoever
Actually more like IRA intimidation through terrorism.........
On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 15:43:29 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"

I will have the person doing the installing do an analysis, but I would like to have an idea of what it should come out to before I just take their calculations at face value. In this area, there are only two dealers that handle the type/brand of heat pump I want. Not much choice.
Dick:
Try here:
The Gas Appliances Manufacturers' Association (GAMA) has tool that consumers can use to estimate their annual heating requirements and compare the operating costs of different models: http://www.gamanet.org/gama/inforesources.nsf/vContentEntries/Product+Directories?OpenDocument
Looks like you start by doing a load estimate.
Chris
Dick wrote:

load
someone
unusual
whoever
anyone
just
On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 09:38:15 -0700, Dick <LeadWinger> wrote:

For an approximation, you just multiply the surface area of all the walls, doors, windows, ceilings, etc. by the relevent U values (1/R), and multiply that by biggest temperature differential you're going to want between the outside and the inside.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/thermo/heatloss.html
You can probably expect the number that a pro comes up with to be a bit off from that, but if it's a LOT different, I'd want to know why. For finding the R values of various things, as well as vast amounts of other useful and useless information, I cannot recommend _Thomas J. Glover's Pocket Reference_ highly enough.
--Goedjn
On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 15:43:29 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"

Hmmm, you'd be looking a long time in my area. I had three estimates for a new furnace in 1997 and none of them bothered to do the calculations, if they did they must've done them really fast where I didn't see it. I'll be a lot more careful nex time.
http://www.hvac-software.com/main.asp http://www.mrhvac.com/index.html?http://www.mrhvac.com/manualjshort.htm
Thanks everyone for the good ideas.
Dick
On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 08:30:31 -0700, Dick <LeadWinger> wrote:

Dick wrote:

http://home.att.net/~alt.hvac/loads.htm