Heatilator fan install, gas fireplace questions

I have a heatilator gas fireplace installed by the homebuilder last year. It has the single wall switch to turn the fireplace on and off, low voltage wiring only. The heatilator reseller (and original installer of the fireplace) is coming next week to install the blower / fan kit for $185. I am being told the fan kit operates by a temperature sensor only, not through a second wall switch. When paying the builder the $400 upgrade for the blower at the time of building the home, it does include a second switch. I am being told that a second switch requires 110v that the installer won't mess with after the fact, but I can have a multiswitch installed for an added $250 that control the fire and fan with variable heights and speeds. The power box in the bottom of the unit appears to have three receptacles, one marked fan and the other two not marked. How easy is it to install a separate fan switch afterwards so I can choose to have the fan go or not, fireplace is not always used to generate heat (to heat the room/area)? Can the multiswitch be purchased online and installed without too much difficulty? Thanks! Looking forward to the fan, just want to control it myself.

Reply to
Ron P

don't know about your make/model, but... the basic one-speed fan will presumably operate automatically if it has power, within the range of its cutin/cutout temperature sensor. if you want even more control if this is available you could put a variable speed blower with a knob control. but since you want total control, let's opt for the digital temperature remote thermostat control with fan speed selection. you'll have the best range of fan speeds and their noise with comfort... hey i just looked at your mfg website, go look at

buffalobill

I installed a Heatilor fan/remote kit myself. I now leave the switch on all the time for the fireplace and control the fire/fan with the remote. The remote box plugs into the outlet switch and connects to the fireplace controls and the the fan.

I bought this one--RCT-MLT-HTL. I have a Heatilator Nova.

Reply to
wpiman

Thanks, guess I do need to do myself. Turns out the builder never ran power and I never even thought about checking. Luckily an outlet is about 3 feet away. I was look at the RCT-MLT-HTL such as the one the other poster listed. Thanks both

Reply to
Ron P