Heater not working - 46deg inside!

Page 2 of 2

Thanks and I hope you get heat soon. FYI......HSI come in several lengths and mounting types and you can determined which one you need by manufacturer. If you have say a Bryant furnace they use the same HSI for most if not all their furnaces. The same holds true for most manufacturers. A hot surface igniter is today's pilot light as in the most common part to fail and the most common reason for no heat. You can likely find the part on line and it would be best to keep a spare around.
Cool! And thanks for posting those corrections to the info you provided about fan switches and solid state controls - shows commendable honesty/humility and concern for truth/fact. I consider the fan info etc, beyond my present necessary scope, and I meant for my praise to apply specifically to your still highly credible, confirmed and very helpful comments about HSI systems. I consider this thread to be a very satisfying success, thanks in large part to your contributions, Jolt, and I look forward to discussing future home repair issues with all of you! Now I'm gonna get my shit good and fixed!
jolt wrote:

Oops, with all that new info I momentarily mixed up jolt's info w/ snipped-for-privacy@sme-online.com's info. I deleted the entry I just posted b/c it was a little confused about matters of credit. In case anybody read it, I'll correct myself - Thank you both, but Jolt, you're the person I meant to lavish praise upon. Everything YOU said was right-on! Now I'm gonna fix my furnace and unfreeze myself! A successful thread, for sure! I'm very grateful!
jolt wrote:

* Bad wire to the thermostat
* Hot surface ignitor not working properly
* Flame sensor gone bad
* Bad gas valve
* Burners clogged
* Safety limit switch tripped
* Bad transformer
* Fuse opened (possibly one on the circuit board)
* Bad circuit board
How about some more information. Are you familiar with the use of a VOM?
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.