Heater not heating properly

Hi all, About 3 years ago we came home from a Christmas trip to find out house very cold. The electronic thermostat was acting weird. To make a long story short I've had two repair guys out and neither of them actually got the heating unit repaired. Noticed that when they removed the cover to the components in the blower unit that the unit would heat properly and not trip one of its breakers. When they reassembles it, and left of course, the unit heated but then tripped the breaker again and wouldn't heat properly. The unit does heat some. I'm thinking it has two different heating coils in it? (electric). Any ideas as to any of the parts that might have to be at a specific tilt to get it to work properly? Pretty confusing. B

Reply to
Brian Oakley

Tripped breakers = Bad breakers, Too much amperage being drawn, electrical short, bad sequencers, too small a wire, etc. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Not near enough information. There can be times when trouble shooting a unit that is working properly can be very difficult. You may want to call the manufacturer to get a recommendation for a good tech that will be experienced in your brand.

Joseph

Reply to
Joseph

It sounds like it is not working on 120V rather than 240V. Your electrical supply is protected by two or a double breaker. Each breaker protects only 120V of the 240 your system needs to run properly. It should be set up so that one side (half) triggers a fault, it will turn off both sides. You should get this fixed.

While guessing, I am going to guess that one side (breaker) is defective and opening up too soon. It may need to be replaced. A failing breaker will reset when cool and may work for minutes or days before it trips again. My guess is that was all it ever was. They rest the breaker, checked out the furnace for problems and could not find any (because there were none) and left, later the breaker went out again.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

This sounds worth exploring. Knew that but never occurred to actually check it. The scenario you painted sounds very much like what happened. Everything worked fine for years. I changed out the old thermostat to an electronic one and it worked fine for about 8 months, until we came home after Christmas. The breaker that is tripping is the one that is made into the blowing unit, not the one in the breaker panel for the home. I will see if I can locate one and replace it. (Don't worry guys, I was an electrician for 7 yrs, I know how to turn off a breaker and check to see if the juice is off, thanks.)

Reply to
Brian Oakley