Heated driveway

Help, Is it possible to repair areas of an electrically heated driveway without exposing the whole thing? The reason is, there is certain areas which have stopped working. Can the specific areas be spliced again?

Thanks in advance Ted

Reply to
fortuna

Not that I've heard of. If it were hydronically heated, you cold possibly fix it.

Reply to
HeatMan

Yes there are ways, I repaired an loading dock for an hospital once. You will need an decent under ground tracker with an sender and receiver. Connect to one side and tone to an dead area, then go from the other side to dead area. Then saw cut and repair the wiring as per the manufactures directions. The equipment I used cost well over $5000.00 and that was 10 years ago. The hospital paid some pretty big bucks for our work. But it was much cheaper than having the semi's slide down the ramp into the dock.

I suggest you find an locating/electric contractor and ask for an quote. I doubt that you want to buy this equipment for an one time deal. It certainly will not be cheap and you will end up patching the concrete more than once. It is hard to get concrete to set when it is cold or close to freezing. We patched the areas and then waited until spring to come back and fix the concrete correctly.

Reply to
SQLit

Reply to
Halvey

LOL! My thought exactly.

Reply to
Yaofeng

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (Yaofeng) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

If I were having a new driveway installed, I might have it set up to be heated. Maybe only part of it near the garage. The sun never shines there in the winter and we always have ice. Plus we get tons of snow. You only turn on the heating elements if it's going to snow.

Reply to
RobertPatrick

The only one I've seen in person was at a resort in Lake Placid, NY. They put a brick walk between two buildings across a driveway. The bricks were heated. No snow, no ice and no lawsuits for slipping. They didn't try to heat the entire driveway though.

Reply to
Ed Clarke