HeatbarrierXP?

Saw a TV commercial for this new type of blown insulation today and seems like a good idea.

And from the commercial, it looks like it's _a lot_ cleaner to blow into the attic. The guy was blowing it around a bit and none of it stuck to him or the rafters, etc. It all settled down nice and even.

On the other hand, while I haven't really looked at the web sight in detail, it seems like they're pushing the bullshit attic "inspection" hard and they were doing the same on the TV commercial.

I can see the sales guy finding all kinda problems that, of course, the company can fix for a reasonable cost... I just want the aluminumized blown insulation, (assuming it works) not a sales pitch.

Anybody hip to this product?

Reply to
Ed Stasiak

I dont know about it but from the link but and its fancy marketing, I think its a metal radiant barrier, which may not perform well as it get dirty, it probably has no R value so I guess should be used over proper thickness insulation and im sure you can get it done cheaper, the tv add cost alot. Maybe a case of aluminum foil would do the same, what happens if it hits a bare electric wire!

Reply to
ransley

This has all the earmarks of a sucker pitch...a half-baked product that will produce a very modest positive effect. It will be sold by high pressure sales teams to gullible people at grossly high prices. After a number of local installations followed by Better Business Bureau complaints, they will pack their apparatus into their shiny trucks and disappear into the night. Stuff like this has been going on for years, and the technique works well enough for the 'Travelers' and other gypsy groups to winter comfortably down in Florida until its time to head North and make some easy money from the trusting, unwary , and uninformed among us.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

You got it mostly right, but they're not wintering comfortably down in Florida. Oh they're down there, but they're busy selling it as a gubmint mind-control blocking system. "It's a tinfoil hat -- for your house!"

Reply to
Mike Paulsen

I helped a friend do a conventional "paper mulch" blown insulation job on his house, so I have a bit of experience with this but while this aluminized stuff seems like a good product, the attic inspection hard sell immediately turned me off.

Thanks for the replies.

Reply to
Ed Stasiak

Aluminum does not insulate, go touch an aluminum door. its a radiant barrier where I think the main benefit is in very hot climates, you still need proper full regular insulation, with an "R" value, this stuff goes over that but I bet an aluminum tarp would do the same for a hundred buks

Reply to
ransley