Heat Wire - Snow Melting

Was wondering with the winter coming up could I make a grid of Heat wire and wire it all up in series and roll it out on my driveway and use it to melt the snow and ice and put it on a timer for certain times of the day so its clear to get in and out?

Thanks, Joe

Also anyone know any good sources off the internet for purchasing Heat Wire or High Resistance Cabling?

Reply to
Joe Grassi

A snow shovel and a bit of exercise is a whole lot cheaper (and better for you too!)

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

The practical answer is "no". The true answer is "Yes. but . . .". There are Installation costs, Operating Costs, Maintenance costs, and unexpected/undesirable side-effect-costs. ALL of them are high for this application.

http://217.172.161.215/ktml2/images/uploads/news/FAATALKFINAL.pdf

Reply to
Goedjn

Sure. Hope you have lots of money to pay for the electric.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Might be more efficient to use a boiler, and tubes in the asphalt. Kinda like wirsbo to keep the floor warm.

I'm told that the RTS bus service in Rochester NY has used th is type of thing (tubes, not filaments) and found it successful.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon