Heat supply duct.. costs?

I have a partially collapsed main supply duct on my central heat/air.. It's close to being 24" X 12" X 8 to 10 Ft with two round ducts going to bedrooms above.. One end of supply section has the large round duct from heat pump attached through wall, the other end connects to same type duct but has no problems concerning collapse.

The top of the duct which should be flat, is bowed down about 3 or 4 inches in the middle.. unknown cause. duct is solid, not rusted or corroded. Only problem other than being a restriction, is that it's starting to pull away from one of th ducts going to a bedroom,, which I can "patch".. I had thought of putting self tapping screws in the middle of the problem then pulling up with crowbar or something.. depending on how expensive is duct repair..untill time for new heat pump..

This duct is in 3 to 4 ft high crawl space, dry, within 15 feet of entrance, with power and light . Clean for a crawlspace..

House and system is 22 years old.

I wanted to have a ballpark idea prior to calling someone out.. I don't get estimates unless I'm ready to get work done almost immediately.. ..

Does this sound like a $200 type thing or a $2,000 type repair..??

Thanks.. Chuck (in SC)

Reply to
Chuck (in SC)

How about using some sheet metal screws plus a piece of angle-iron? If applied in the middle of the bow, it just might remove most of it.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

You're on to a possible way to correct the problem with your ideas of putting in some screws and trying to pull it back to square. Another way might be to take the duct going to the bedroom entirely off the main run, and reach thru the opening and push the collapsed side back up.

As the other poster suggests, you may need a piece of angle-iron screwed across the collapsed side to hold the area in place.

Replace the bedroom duct and sheetmetal screw it in place.

Reply to
Mark

Hi Chuck

It sounds to me that the main vent has pulled apart from your homes wood expanding and contracting.

I would be inclined to loosen the support brackets and nudge up the middlle with a small plywood piece attached to a short 2x4. Block it in place, once you correct it. Then tighten back up the support brackets. Then seeing that your there, you mind as well foil tape any leaky joints.

I think it sounds like a fairly quick fix.

Regards Dale

Regards Dale

Reply to
Whomever

Thanks for the Ideas guys.. Chuck (in SC)

Reply to
Chuck (in SC)