heat resistance of pipe dope

Page 2 of 2
The concern here appears to be that you're using a threaded shut off valve, and then thread to copper adaptors? I would not want to put heat on a fitting that was already teflon taped, and doped.
You may wish to cut the copper pipe a couple inches from the valve. Install a copper union. This will allow you to solder the thread adaptors onto the copper pipe, and then thread it all together, later.
http://www.drillspot.com/products/273709/Elkhart_Products_33580_1_2_Copper_Union
http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com /(fynplbzul15etri31hzd0lz4)/productdetails.aspx?sku™8024381&source=GoogleBase
Hope one of those links work. You may need to cut and paste the link into your browser.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Or solder each male-threaded adapter to a copper nipple at least a couple inches long, then use a copper coupling on each end. Wrap the adapters with wet rags while soldering the couplings. Not exactly elegant, but it ensures that neither the valve seals nor the pipe dope will overheat, and cheaper and probably easier than using unions.
Add pictures here
✖
With such a setup, you can do it with one copper coupler. Solder one thread adatpor, and then thread the valve on. Adaptor and nipple to other side of valve. Finish with a copper coupler.
Years ago, I saw a movie file. Johny Carson, and I can't remember the oher guy. "Just the facts, ma'am" and they did in inteview. Turns out that Claude Cooper from Cleveland had copped the copper clappers the cleaning lady had found missing from the closet. I thought it was funny. Thanks for a memory.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

There is an issue of the orientation of the valve and its handle by the time it's tightened onto the threads.

Remember where Carnac's questions were securely stored?
Add pictures here
✖

There is an issue of the orientation of the valve and its handle by the time it's tightened onto the threads.
CY: That's true. Might need two unions, then. Which is what you said. I hadn't thought of that.

Remember where Carnac's questions were securely stored?
CY: No, I wish I did.
Add pictures here
✖
Stormin Mormon wrote:

in hermetically sealed envelopes "... kept in a mayonnaise jar on Funk & Wagnall's porch since noon today."
Add pictures here
✖