Heat Register Deflectors

I have heat deflectors on some of my heat registers so that instead of the heat going up towards the ceiling, it will flow out towards the center of the room.

Does anyone else use these, and do you think they are really necessary?

They are a bit of a pain, because whenever I have company, someone invariably kicks it if they happen to be in a room with one of these deflectors.

Many thanks.

Kate

Reply to
Kate

In most cases, the air is going to move around the room as the blower runs. Deflectors are good to move the warm air away from furniture, but I don't know they are of much value for any other reason. Take a couple of them off and see how the room feels. May even be better as the air diffuses.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The only time I'd use a deflector would be if the register was under a piece of furniture. And then I'd use it put less hot air on the furniture.

Hot air warms the walls & diffuses if the registers are in the right places. The walls then become low-temp radiators and act as heat sinks.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

May or may not be good. I have directed warm air toward the windows to reduce condensation during extra cold winter days. If the deflectors are being kicked or tripped over, I'd remove the deflectors in a second (safety trumps anything else).

Reply to
Phisherman

I adapted one to the HVAC register directly over the head of our bed so the hot or cold air didn't blow directly down on us while we were in bed.

Been working fine for 20 years now...

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia