Heat pumps

Page 2 of 2
Managed to find the name of the installer and gave them a call. With hints from here and from them I did a little digging.
Checking all the circuit breakers was non-eventful as all seemed fine. Ret urn trip to the water heater closet again showed everything as it should be .
Following instructions from the installer I went to the attic to see if the house inspector had inadvertently closed a valve or opened a switch. Agai n nothing.
Returned to the thermostat to verify settings. Discovered through the proc ess of elimination that the fan control did not activate when set for AUTO. Instead selecting just the full ON position brought immediate heat. Quic kly brought the house to 74!
Leaving the fan selector in the on position I tried lowering the temperatur e settings. Worked fine.
For now I'm focusing my attention on that programmable thermostat. Figure if she treats it like an older manual variety by raising or lowering direct ly she'll at least have heat. Just the fan will be circulating air 24/7. I did not open the thermostat housing as I have not found a master shut off switch for the system. Having come this far I'd hate to fry something in the process. Gut feeling now is either the unit was incorrectly wired or p erhaps is simply failing.
On 1/20/2016 5:59 PM, Chiefjim wrote:

Man, that blows!
This morning, I had the privilege of working on a miswired furnace. Lucky, I'd done some heat work while I was alive, and had some idea how a furnace is supposed to be wired. Beyond that much information, I'm wise not to comment.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Wednesday, January 20, 2016 at 5:59:27 PM UTC-5, Chiefjim wrote:

ts from here and from them I did a little digging.

eturn trip to the water heater closet again showed everything as it should be.

he house inspector had inadvertently closed a valve or opened a switch. Ag ain nothing.

ocess of elimination that the fan control did not activate when set for AUT O. Instead selecting just the full ON position brought immediate heat. Qu ickly brought the house to 74!

ure settings. Worked fine.

e if she treats it like an older manual variety by raising or lowering dire ctly she'll at least have heat. Just the fan will be circulating air 24/7. I did not open the thermostat housing as I have not found a master shut o ff switch for the system. Having come this far I'd hate to fry something i n the process. Gut feeling now is either the unit was incorrectly wired or perhaps is simply failing.
Every thermostat I've ever had, the thermostat did not activate the fan for heating or cooling. That was done by the furnace/AC, etc. The thermostat only activates the fan itself when you put on the fan switch to make the fan run regardless of the burner/AC.
On Thu, 21 Jan 2016 05:37:02 -0800 (PST), trader_4

Check if a thermostat option will bring on the heat circulation fan as is normally done with the cool.
--
Mr.E

Time to wrap this topic up. Appreciate all the suggestions received along the way. In the end I discovered the problem centered around the thermosta t. A perfectly fine thermostat as it was.
The thermostat being oem grade supplied with the heating system did not hav e battery backup. Hence most likely when the home inspector was doing his job the controlling circuit breaker got cycled. Without benefit of battery backup to hold the settings the device defaulted to factory settings.
Default in heat mode calls for a signal from the furnace or boiler to turn on the circulating fan. This system operating more like electric heating d id not need to wait for that signal which would never come. A simple chang e in the installer setup routine for the thermostat fixed it.
In summary a challenge that took days to identify took about 30 seconds to apply the fix.