Heat pump zone system

We live in a house that's approx. 2000 sq. ft. We have a heat pump with a zone system. The main thermostat is in the upstairs master bedroom, there is another thermostat in my son's room upstairs, and there is 1 thermostat downstairs. Here is my problem: we can't control the temp. in the house! The main thermostat is set at 74 degrees. We know that we can control the airflow by turning our son's thermostat up and down. But, it gets REALLY cold! It's either 61 degrees in our room, or in the kid's rooms. The airflow gets it that cold. The downstairs temp. seems to be okay. It's just the upstairs that we're having issues with. How do these systems work??? We are freezing!
jpilkrn wrote:

system and make recommendations. Remote diagnosis is darn near impossible.
In many cases, people wind up with TWO heat pumps, one for upstairs, one for downstairs. The bigger of the two is generally the upper one, at least for cooling mode.
One POSSIBLE solution is to have electrically operated damper installed to shut off flow to areas that don't need conditioned air. The thermostat in that area then controls whether it needs the conditioned air. If your HVAC analyst recommends this solution, it is not terribly expensive to install. However, getting the heat pump to come on in this complex control situation is the job of the HVAC contractor, not me, not you.
Thanks for the recommendation! Our heat pump is brand new. We had it installed a couple of months ago. Before that we were freezing in the winter and frying in the summer. Turned out that our old heat pump wasn't big enough for our house. Darned contractor! What a rip off!