Heat Pump Wiring

Hi there ...
Say ...
I had yet another estimate on replacing my A/C and furnance with a unit that has a variable speed air handler in order to attempt to achieve better humidity control.
One option that has been mentioned by a few of these contractors is to upgrade to a heat pump. Now the contractor who was out yesterday said I wouldn't be able to go to a heat pump because "there aren't enough wires" running outside to the existing exchanger.
I have no reason to doubt him but I am curious if any of you could tell me what the heck he is talking about.
Thanks!
Ax

With a heatpump, you need more than a 2-wire low voltage wire running to the outside unit AND you need additional wires for the air handler AND the thermostat. In fact, you would need a different thermostat, too.
If he can't put a heatpump in because he won't run new low voltage wiring, I would run away from him FAST!!! Get at least 3 REPUTABLE contractors to give you quotes (not estimates!).
wrote

He should be planning on a new lineset out to the condenser anyways........no big deal in running a new control cable at the same time unless he is planning otherwise.
--
SVL

This is Turtle.
Regular type hvac systems and not heat pump type , when installed , only run 2 -- # 18 or # 20 control wire to the out side unit. The Heat pump requires from 5 to 8 wires to be going to the outside unit from the furnace. So it's a not enough wire with 2 wires going there and he feels that running another set of wires out to the condenser would be too hard of a job for him. Now running another set of wire out to the condenser is some trouble but it can be done. I must be gifted for I know how to run another set of wires to the outside unit. There is no such thing as can't but is called Difficult to do.
TURTLE

Forgot to mention that this is a condo unit so it might be VERY difficult to run additional wiring outside.
Okay ... no big deal ... we'll run with straight electric ...
Ax
On 28 Sep 2004 13:12:18 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Axinar) wrote:

What about the cable guy? Did he refuse to run the wire too because it was too difficult?
RW