heat pump versus gas pack

Neither does a 'dual pipe' high efficient gas fired furnace. :-)

As does any 'properly installed' system does!
~kjpro~

wrote: | > > I wouldn't have a heat pump, even if you gave it to me free. They are | > > nothing but trouble.
Funny, we installed a 14.5 SEER variable speed heat pump just last year for a customer that had said the same thing. She is now the best free advertiser I have for heat pump systems.
- Robert
| > | > I live in Florida - and have a Carrier Heat Pump and love it. It is very | > efficient - does not dry out the air - | | | Neither does a 'dual pipe' high efficient gas fired furnace. :-) | | | > keeps the house evenly heated and | > cooled. In the winter - | | | As does any 'properly installed' system does! | | ~kjpro~ | | | > we seldom get nights in the 20s and 30s. Of | > course in the summers - it is hot and humid here - our heat pump also | > has an EER of 13.5. It keeps the summer cooling bills down. Now I wish | > there were some way I could use that heat sucked out of the house to | > heat our swimming pool. We have a natural gas heater for the pool. Here | > in Tallhassee we have not had the heat or AC on for two months - windows | > open - palm trees blowing in the breeze. | > | > Yep - I would have a heat pump even if you gave it to me free - I | > already have the best :-) | > | > Harry | |

This is Turtle.
Those high dollar gas furnaces has not got a chance in south Louisiana either. I run my gas furnace 12 days out of the whole winter. My highest natural gas bill was $87.00 and everything in my house is gas run except the electric cloths drier. Stove & Oven , Hot water tank, and Central heat are all gas.
Trane might be some good stuff but i summited a price list of replacing 26 package -- 2.5 ton units with Trane, Rheem, Goodman, American Standard , and Carrier to the school board to see what it would cost and the Trane was way up there in the Ozone comparied to the others and even the American Standard. The only way Trane will get real is you become a 100% all the time dealer and they will come around.
Also Trane got a bid on the school board jobs and with some 7.5 ton package units and one of the school board members was filling in as Maintaince super and happen to call Trane to come fix one of them. Trane was 140 miles away and sent the school board to school. The charge $72.00 a hour, $1.00 a mile , and had to make two days / two trips round trip out of the job. The hourly charges was a little over $2K + the trip charges of a $1.00 a mile / two trips. The problem was a bad thermostat with remote sencer.
TURTLE

This is Turtle.
What people don't look at is if your going only to use your heat but maybe 10 days out of the year. It makes very little difference what fuel you decide on for 10 days run time will not pay the difference in the type fuel you choose of the furnaces you choose. Now this being South Louisiana and not any Northern state where it really gets cold. If you really get some good run day of heat then there will be a choice to make.
TURTLE
Vicki Szaszvari posted for all of us...

I would take the Arab, I would put him to good use!
--

Tekkie

Chris..you prove more and more each day that a 20 watt bulb burns brighter...
Better look Vicki up...see what she does....where she lives, and why she asked the question.
Why don't you call a couple heating companies? Some of the new furnaces are more than 90% efficient. They are so efficient that the chimney gasses are cool enough to vent through PVC pipe.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I thought your lame ass had left? Stab anybody in the back today?

Xpost..but then...sigh...I aint Terry, but then, I thought you were not either.. Boy was I wrong. You two related? Joined at the hip? Perhaps joined at the ass, since most of what I read from the two of you sounds the same..

Whassamatter stevie? Slumming now backstabber? Thought you got fed up and left? Kissing weasel's ass in alt.home.repair now?
The shit you did to Paul. FU!

the
Slumming? (looks around) cant say that I am....your mom and you looking for a move up on the chain of society? I think I can arrange for your two to get a place on skid row..that might be jumping your evolution up about 5 years tho..

yea...and you tards keep crossposting and wont let it die..

Gotta get your head out of the way...Terry slowed down and you and Paul both went right up to the shoulders..

LOL..yea..yea.. Cry me a river will ya? i got this boat ya see...

For a clown like you, it fits. http://www.stevewillcoxphoto.com/downloads/desktopimages/YellowBoat-1024x 768.jpg

He has the following choices:
    - replacement heat pump (electric backup)     - heat pump with gas backup     - A/C with straight gas heat
In areas which don't dip below 35-40F much, a simple replacement is the best way to go - considerably cheaper installation.
If it drops below 35-40F much, heat pump with gas backup is much more economical in the long run (assuming gas is cheaper per therm than electricity), faster to warm up, but somewhat more expensive to install.
A/C with gas heat _cannot_ be more economical than A/C heat pump + gas backup to operate (assuming equivalent maintenance costs).
Whether heat pump + electric backup or heat pump + gas backup is cheaper requires considerable calculations (armed with degree day numbers, precise gas vs electric costs) etc.
Furthermore, since this seems to be a workshop, it _may_ be better to go with gas backup - if they turn the heat substantially down at night, resuming heat during the day will require the backup to kick in even if the HP is within its efficiency range. Depending on insulation, duty factor, etc, HP plus gas backup _may_ still be better even if the temperature doesn't go down below 35F-40F much.
Set back thermostats on HPs are tricky - they have to raise the T-stat slowly to avoid firing up the backup, and the time taken may be too long to be comfortable at the beginning of the day. In normal residential systems, half the time it's better to do no setback whatsoever.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
snipped-for-privacy@carolinabreezehvac.com wrote:

    Chris can't even remember what he does for a living from day to day, and now you're asking him some harder questions? <grin>
message
This is Turtle.
No disrespect here but the more you play with the Trolls. The longer the flame war will keep going. Bill is loosing people to flame with and you and about 2 others is all he has left and are not hvac people but regular trolls. So Please don't feed the Trolls.
TURTLE