Heat Pump - Repair or Replace?

Page 2 of 2

Ask the guys pricing the Trane and the American standard if that includes a variable speed air handler. That Bryant price seems a little high, but Carrier DID jack up their prices quite a bit with their new line they came out with this year....
Yeah - that did include the variable speed air handler for the Trane and AS..
The only thing I really saw that the Bryant Evolution had over the Trane was the 2 speed (or 2 stage??) compressor..

Look at one of those SEER charts in the literature (that any of them gave you) and look at the difference in savings. I'd probably go with the 14 SEER.
One more thing: American Standard and Trane come off the same assembly line. When it get s to the end, Trane puts a fancier cabinet on it. Both have the same warranty. You decide.....
I had a frigidair dishwasher, one step down from top of the line. We paid at the store, including delivery & setup. When they brought it out and installed it, they gave her a bill! She showed them the paid receipt, they left without any more money. Then their office sent another bill. I had bought a 3 year extended warranty from the dealer too.
6 weeks after I got it, the timer stopped advancing. I called the dealer, he sent his BEST technician, he looked in the manual that came with it on the troubleshooting chart, then replaced 2 parts to fix it. The next day it did the same thing again. They made 3 trips and couldn't fix it. The guy never got a meter out, just replaced parts.
I complained to Frigidaire and they sent the dealer a new dishwasher. They replaced it and gave me another bill!
After 2 more years it started leaking all over the floor. I was told $250 to fix it. (Should have been under extended warranty). Tired of fighting with it, I went to sears and bought a high end Kenmore. If I have troubles with it (2 years old now) I will start buying cheap dishwashers, since buying high priced ones is a waste of money. I had trouble with a Frigidaire refrigerator also.
I will NEVER buy a Frigidaire ANYTHING ever again! And I will never buy from their dealer again either!
End of rant (I feel Better)
Stretch
OOPS! I posted my rant to the wrong thread. Please ignore it. But note that most companies just want to sell a new box, very few know how to fix anything any more.
Stretch

even so, not a bad rant....
;-]

What model dishwasher did you wind up with? It will be an xxx.xxxxxx number on the label.

I've had a Kenmore 665.16761690 for a good 12 years now and it's been great. I only know the number because I just replaced the door seal for the first time. It's run at least 5 out of 7 days.

She thinks it's a Goodman....
What model dishwasher did you wind up with? It will be an xxx.xxxxxx number on the label.
And the number is...... 665.17464300
Stretch

Shibumi, Ive read all your updates and the other posts. In a nutshell it sounds like you are trying to get as many bids as you can so you can find the lowest price out there. Your own words: "Hopefully I can beat them down a little lower". Everyone wants the lowest price on everything but you are looking for trouble. The more bids you get, the more you will be confused. Check out their reputation. This means calling and checking...........maybe even look at one of their recent jobs. If they do good work, they will be happy to give you a short list of a few customers they have RECENTLY done so you can talk to the customer and/or look at their work. As far as your current system, dont fix the compressor! If it is shorted to ground, that means it has burnt the windings in the compressor, along with the oil and refrigerant. This requires a very agressive effort in cleanup so your new compressor wont suffer the results of acid in it. It will lead to a quick death of your new compressor. You might also want to consider the use of an R-410a refrigerant instead of R-22? The year 2010 is the cut-off date for R-22 production. Oh, it will certainly be around after that time but just as R-12 did, the price will skyrocket until it disappears. Your system will be 4 yrs old in 2010. That will be just getting into the repairs maybe. Refrigerant leak maybe? What will you have to pay to have that repaired then? This leads up to my next subject. GET a 5 or 10 yr PARTS and LABOR Warranty!! Believe me, it WILL be worth it in just one unscheduled repair. Good Luck. Sounds like you are going to need it. Go get 10 more bids. Bubba
I think I'm at my limit w/ the 5 quotes - I don't think I can deal w/ anymore sales folks! ;)
Regarding the lines, I do have one concern there. One company (higher bid) said they would replace all of the freon lines as part of the install - for basically the reason you just mentioned - They said there could be alllll kinds of crap in there now.
Another company (not the bottom lowest, but a good rep, and the one I'm really leaning towards), has said they will "clean the lines following Trane standards" - or instructions - or something.. Point being - they will clean the lines rather than replace - and they kept insuring me that that would be enough..
Now, if I'm getting the extended warranty 10/10/10 - should I be concerned whether they just clean instead of replace those lines?? I understand that if one of those lines sprung a leak, I'd be left w/ it - but - as far as any gunk in there causing a problem w/ the compressor, I'd assume that would be THEIR issue as they decided to clean rather than replace..
Or - would there even BE an issue if they do as thorough of a cleaning as they claim?
Thanks again for all of the feedback

Feedback? Yeah, Here's feedback. You are picking the almost lowest guy because he is the amost lowest guy. He is going to short cut your job everywhere he can. He wont change the line set?? WTF? Is it buried in a ceiling or something? Id STILL replace it, even if it meant putting holes in a drywall ceiling. Drywall is easy to patch. While you are at it, have the all of the low voltage wiring replaced. You should also have the outdoor disconnect, whip kit, pad, indoor breaker and thermostat, and drain line replaced. That is called a system replacement. Why you would spend $5K plus and not have all those items replaced is beyond me. Those are inexpensive items. It also removes almost 100% of any excuses in the future as to why your furnace or AC doesnt work. Dont go cheap............................But I know you will. "Anything to save that all mighty dollar" Bubba
Actually, I'm picking based primarily on service and secondly on price. I didn't pick the lowest guy - I went w/ the company that at least SOUNDED like they would give me the best service - now and down the road... They are big in this area (30 years), and they came recommended by my electrician friend who is doing all of the work.
They were one of the first out here, they didn't try to "sell" me on anything, they had lower pricing on the extended warranty (which - is big to me - because as it's a Trane x warranty, they all have the same price - so - charging $100 and $200 more is just robbery), they won't charge me down the road for emergency / weekend service (the others were going to charge me because Trane only reimburses them for 'regular' time), they included the new disconnect in their price - where as the others wanted me to pay to have my electrician do it when they heard he was putting in the new panel (he'll still be doing it, but it will be covered in their price, rather than me spending another $75 - $150 - however much it is...), and they have answered all of my questions in . what sounded like truthful responses - again not just someone trying to "sell" me..
For example, when I went to them about cleaning the lines vs replacing them - they again explained how they follow Trane's procedure for cleanging the lines, BUT, said that if I would be more comfortable w/ them replacing the lines, they would do it - and will not be charging me for it. They also took a few dollars ($35) off because I had recently installed a new Honeywell Thermostat - which had more features in it than what they were going to install, so - they just took it off... things like that.
There were a few other things that they did that made me go their route - it was all about the SERVICE - at least "pre-sale" has been great! I'm hoping it will continue.
We'll find out today... They're coming out to do the install... for the 14XLi. My electrician is also installing my new panel today - going from 150 aluminum wiring to 200 amp and copper.