Heat Pump Removal

How hard is it to remove a heat pump?
Should this be done by a professional or is it safe to disconnect it and remove it myself?
I would like to get a new air conditioning unit installed by my hydro company. I need to get rid of this unit first and build a concrete slab for the new air unit to sit on. The heat pump is currently sitting on an uneven plastic stand (looks like it is sinking), the unit is massive and it does not work. It has not been used in a very long time.
All info is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
B. McKechnie
On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 10:34:19 -0400, "Brian McKechnie"

EPA has rules on discarding units with freon in them. Big fine involved.
Les
Brian McKechnie wrote:

Assuming that the system still has refrigerant in it you need to have that removed before you can disconnect the lineset (copper lines). Maybe your hydro company offers a removal service? Worth a call, anyway.
'How hard is it to remove a heat pump? Should this be done by a professional or is it safe to disconnect it and remove it myself?'
ME: If there is freon still in it...youre supposed to be Refrigerant Certified by law now..which means you need recovery equipment to get the freon out of the system before its disconnected. IF there is no freon in the system, then, its easy to disconnect and move out of the way. Just shut off the power first to the Heat Pump.
A better approach, is, to let the installer handle everything.
Dave
Yeah I don't want to take any risks.
I think the hydro company will remove it at no or little cost because I buying from them.
Thanks for all the help. This is a great group.
B. McKechnie

This is Turtle.
You have just been advised by a Troll as to what to do -- Good or Bad.
TURTLE

for
it
used
Any legitimate company that is installing a new unit of ANY sort, be it a geo system or otherwise, should remove and legally discard the old units free of charge. All they need is an EPA licence, and the proper recovery equipment. They also should supply the new pad for you at little to no charge...if not, you MIGHT want to look around. I mean....I cant imagine putting in a new system, and leaving the old.....hackish..
CBhVAC:) wrote:

/snip/
/snip/
Well, in this case they don't need an EPA license.