Heat pump question

Our new SEER 14 heat pump runs when outside temp drops into the low 20s. Our old heat pump would shutdown when the outside temp dropped below 35deg. Is our new machine running correctly and, if so at what point should it stop based on Outside temp?
Thank you, TW in Western NC

I sure hope it hasn't been in the low 20s in NC this season yet.
You new heat pump is likely working fine. New ones are more efficient and can function efficiently at lower temps. As long as it's heating the house sufficiently, you are likely OK.
The exact point where it makes sense to switch to aux heat depends on factors that we don't know:
the efficiency curve of the heat pump vs outside temp the cost of electricity the cost of whatever fuel the aux heat uses

Depends on how it is set up. Does it have an outside thermostat? If so the you probably can vary the point. What's your backup heat, electric or gas? Some units never quit, they just start augmenting with electric when they can not maintain the inside set point any more. If your backup heat source is electric then it has to get pretty cold before it's cheaper to use all electric.