Heat Pump Install?

Hi I'm having my heat pump replaced.

I did some searching and decided to use a Goodman 3 ton 13 (14?) seer v/s split system. I found a company to order and install it for me. They started the install Friday.

The air handler was damaged (looks to have been dropped) so they ordered a replacement unit. It should be here Tuesday (I hope).

The condenser unit was ok so they went ahead and removed my old unit and installed the new unit. They replaced the thermastat wiring, connected the power supply and started connecting the refrigerant lines. Now, this is where I need some advice.

They installed a reciever/dryer in the liquid line as a stepdown adapter (to reduce the 3/8" line from the new unit to my old 1/4' line) by crimping one end of it and filling the gap with silver.

I thought this was strange because the unit already has a filter/dryer installed.

There was nothing more to do untill the new air handler arrived so they left.

I started looking through the installation book and noticed that the liquid line (for the length needed) should be 3/8". The suction line fitting of the new unit is the same size as my old line and is 3/4" (which is what it should be as per instructions). It was "sweated on" to my old line.

My questions are: Is it ok to use my old 1/4" line when it should be 3/8".? Is the extra reciever/dryer needed, and if not, will it do any harm?

This package is suppose to be rated as a 14 seer because of the variable speed blower and I want it work as it was intended to.

I really don't want to appear as the, over the shoulder, know it all, pesky homeowner. I think that the price quoted was good because of the off season. I want to know how to handle it without conflict. The install price does include a 1 year labor warranty, so I don't want to make too many waves if it dosen't really matter.

If it helps, the two units are CLPT-36 (condenser), and AEPT-036 (air handler).

Thanks: Ed Moore

Reply to
tofarsouth

NO if the manufacture wanted you to use 1/4 inch then he would have provided it. I presume you checked before ordering and matched the line set to what you have distance wise. A lot of people and me included will not use old line sets. But since your installer is not going to guarntee this job it will be up to you when it fails for ?????

Sure will not when the piping was sized wrong. A high seer is no guarntee of reduced bills or proper operation. The installer makes the job. Were the manual calcalations done? Was the duct work inspected before ordering? Was the blower size matched to the ductwork?

A year on the labor, great. What about preformance? oh yea that is your issue.

Garbage in garbage out. Sure hope it works the way you think it is suppose to.

Reply to
SQLit

A 1/4" line is definitely too small for a 3 ton unit to operate properly. IMO, it s adequate for 2 ton max. The condensing unit has a drier inside it, so I do not see the need for another one. Is it even a heat pump drier? Look at it and see if it has an arrow indicating direction. On a heat pump drier it should point both directions. If it only points away from the cond. unit, it is not even the correct drier. Two other points: The drier should be the last thing installed in the refrigerant piping job, just before the vacuum pump is hooked up. Also, squeezing a fitting down to fit a smaller tube is a very crappy way to work. Just my .02 Larry

Reply to
lp13-30

What would you expect? OP bought cheap, found cheap installer and is getting what he bought...

To OP...I agree, if the spec's are for 3/8", 1/4" isn't adequate.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth