heat pump fan reversal

Bryant 517E inside and 661CJ024-B outside unit.

i have observed that;

when fan is blowing air down, there is frost on the outside.

when fan is blowing air up the coils have less frost. this lasted about 15 minutes, so I suspect this is the defrost cycle?

is this correct for this unit?

Thanks!

-Giles

Reply to
Giles Harney

Frost is usually a good sign that you need to call an a/c guy. Condensers will frost when over charged and under charged. Call some one soon.

Reply to
SQLit

Actually, frost build up is normal on the outside unit of a heat pump. The defrost control will defrost if the coil temperature is below freezing for more than a predetermined time (1/2 to 1 hour). The outside fan should be OFF during defrost. The inside resistance heating should be ON and the inside fan should be on during the defrost cycle.

Reply to
John Gilmer

Down?

Frosting is normal, depending on humidity and temps. When a heat pump is running, many people assume wrongly that the frost indicates a low charge condition. Not so. Its the reversal of the fan thats getting me....somethings out of whack there...

Reply to
CBhvac