Heat pump explanation anywhere?

We're about to move from sunny Calif to variable Georgia weather and barely know how to spell "heat pump" and are looking for a site for reference and hopefully explanations. Options?
nospambob wrote:

This might help you get started:
http://www.trane.com/Residential/Products/HeatPumps/HeatPumps.aspx
We've had a couple of Trane heat pumps for our home for 20 years, anf just replaced them with new Trane units this year. We also have a couple servicing our business location.
I'm as satisfied as I could be with them. From my point of view, they may not be the cheapest way to heat your home, but I think they're the best.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
Thanks for responses. I don't know enough about them to formulate a question but this site looks like it will be a good resource. Thanks Jeff.
On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 15:49:18 -0500, Jeff Wisnia

\\
Options for what?
Heat pumps works fine for cooling, so for heating. Heat pumps should be very common in Sunny Kalifornia. Heat pumps suck at heating below 45 F. If cooling is the primary issue then get a unit that is good for cooling, a higher SEER. If heating is primary then look for one with a high COP number. It will not be a heat pump. Heat pumps are good where the electric rates are not high. Of course coming from CA the electric rates in some part of the country will seem cheap to you. When you get to the area look at your neighbors home and around the area see what they have. A lot of folks where heating is an issue use a straight cool compressor and gas heat, or what is sometimes called dual fuel.
So many questions so little information.

Very mysterious. Care to explain more?
Nick

http://home.howstuffworks.com/question49.htm
Whatever you do, do NOT do business with R. S. Andrews. They operate out of Atlanta and took seven trips before they managed to properly install my furnace and heat pump. I actually had to teach the tech how to solder.