heat pump compressor

Hi, all recently my heat pump compressor(outside unit) start making clicking sound, like a clock. Outside look the same, pumping heat in house just fine. Please, would you give me any advices? Ed.
Hi, all recently my heat pump compressor(outside unit) start making clicking sound, like a clock. Outside look the same, pumping heat in house just fine. Please, would you give me any advices? Ed.
Hi, all recently my heat pump compressor(outside unit) start making clicking sound, like a clock. Outside look the same, pumping heat in house just fine. Please, would you give me any advices? Ed.
Hi, all recently my heat pump compressor(outside unit) start making clicking sound, like a clock. Outside look the same, pumping heat in house just fine. Please, would you give me any advices? Ed.

Check wiring from thermostat all the way to the reversing valve ???
( does it only make the clicking noise in heat mode or does it also do this on cooling ) ??
--
SVL

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 15:19:05 -0700, "PrecisionMachinisT"

It is making sound only in heating mode.And not every time when heat pump working. I do have a very old unit ( from 1987?) and before rel winter strt in DC area I want to be sure that unit is working condition. Ed.

this
Suggest maybe call in a pro.
But like I say, you could trace the reversing valve wiring, because it sounds as if the valve is not holding for some reason--this is not normal and will eventually damage the unit.
Heres a link :
http://www.hometech.com/learn/hvac.html
If it still dont make sense to you after reading the above then definately call in a pro, it very well could just be a loose wire, and if this be the case then it shouldnt be a very expensive fix.
--

SVL

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 21:08:47 -0700, "PrecisionMachinisT"

thank you, I will call Pro.

In all seriousness:
Does it only in heat mode, right?
Turn the circuit breaker off to the indoor AND the outdoor unit. Open the outdoor unit to gain access to the circuit board. VERY carefully, remove the screws that hold down the circuit board. Look at the back of the board and see if there isn't a nest that a spider has made.....

Is it a Carrier? I have had a few Carriers over the years do exactly what you are describing and it was indeed a problem with the circuit board as the last poster mentioned. Good luck with it...
Bobby
wrote

Yep. Carrier more prominate that others.....