Heat Pump and Vacation Prep

Just bought a mobile home in FL to snowbird to. Wondering about the heat pump thermostat and the purpose of the emergency position. Also what is the best temperature to leave the cooling set to when we're away for the summer months. Is it advisable to turn off the water supply? I know the fauset washers get dried up and fausets seem to drip. Any info would be appreciated, Patrick.

Reply to
Patrick C

The emergency setting turns off the heap pump and turns on the aux heat, which is usually electric resistance heat. During normal operation the aux heat is there to kick in if the heat pump cannot supply all the heat required, eg, it's too cold outside, the thermostat is raised a substantial amount so it would take the heat pump too long to get to that temp, etc. The emergency setting is there in case the heat pump isn't working, so you want to disable it from running at all. Obviously not something you want to do unless necessary, as the cost of the resistance heat is going to be a lot higher than getting heat from the pump.

I'd check with neighbors on that, as it's somewhat specific to the area. I'd probably go with 80F so that it runs enough to take out some humidity. Another option would be to rig up a humidistat to turn it on to control the humidity, as opposed to the temp. Depending on what you have and want to protect, usually humidity is going to be the main concern. OTOH, if you have 50 lbs of chocolate, then I'd go with temp.

Is it advisable to turn off the water supply? I know the fauset

Reply to
trader4

Forgot about the water. Yes, I'd turn off the main valve to protect against a sudden leak.

Reply to
trader4