heat pump and copper tubes to air handler

About a month ago we had problem with one of our heat pumps. It was blowing hot air. They replaced the thermostat (it was calling for emergency heat when it shouldn't), the compressor motor and a capacitor. Now it is not working correctly again. It doesn't seem to be blowing hot air, but it isn't cool. Sometimes the compressor is running but the fan on it is not running. On the air handler there are two copper tubes. Sometimes the larger one is cool (and wet), other times it is room temperature. The smaller copper tube is hot. Does this mean it is calling for emergency heat again? Or what could be the problem?
--
Replace you know what by j to email

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 16:08:13 -0400, Jud McCranie
PS. I left it off for a few minutes then turned it back on and now the compressor fan is blowing, it is blowing out warm air, it is blowing out cool air inside, the larger copper tube is cold and wet, and the small copper tube is at room temp or perhaps a little warm. (The small tube was pretty hot before.)
--
Replace you know what by j to email

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 16:13:03 -0400, Jud McCranie
Now the little tube is hot again, almost too hot to touch. I switched it off. What does the small tube being hot indicate?
--
Replace you know what by j to email

The "small tube" (liquid line) being hot would most likely indicate that the condenser fan motor shut off and the compressor stayed running. It could be a praoblem with the motor itself, or a problem in the defrost controls. What is the brand and model nuber of the unit? Larry
On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 08:12:32 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (lp13-30) wrote:

That is happening. The compressor is running, but the fan isn't blowing. I can feel warm air coming out of the compressor, but the fan isn't blowing it out.

The motor was replaced last month. However, the new motor made a lot more noise than the old one. It is a Rheem RPKA-031, about 7 years old.
Thanks!
--
Replace you know what by j to email

Jud McCranie wrote:

I'm thinking you're not getting good service with this company. If they've replaced the wall thermostat, the compressor, the run capacitor, the outdoor fan motor, and you're still having issues - there's something rotten in your town and it's not the fruit.
It might have been easier to just replace the equipment at this point. Call a new company and get a second opinion.
--
Zyp

They didn't replace the compressor. The thermostat seems to have gone bad after an electrical storm and was telling the heat strips to come on when they shouldn't. But otherwise I think you are right.
After I leave it off for a while, it will work for a while, but then the compressor fan stops turning again.
--
Replace you know what by j to email

Shut it off. Call for help.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

At present I have a $510 bill from them for the other work. If I call someone else, I'm going to owe that $510 plus the bill from the other company.
--
Replace you know what by j to email

Please shut the unit down. Compressor NEEDS the big fan to remove the heat, you are at risk of compressor overheat and failure. Expensive.
Call around, find a HVAC technician who knows heat pumps.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 15:27:08 -0400, Jud McCranie

Jud, If you keep screwing around, you will be replacing the compressor with the conditions you are describing. The outdoor fan motor MUST run whenever the compressor is running (except during defrost in the winter). What you need to do, is call up the owner/manager of the company you have been dealing with. Tell them that you are seriously concerned about the technical ability of the tech/s in their company. Remind them of how much you have paid them and/or still owe them. You might mention that you are concerned that they seem to keep replacing different parts and it still doesnt work correctly. Let them know that you are concerned that you have paid or still owe money that you think might have been unnecessary repairs. Let them know that you would like this situation resolved quickly and fairly. Keep it professional. If that doesnt resolve it, start looking for another repair company, lawyer, BBB, attorney general, local news reporter, etc. etc. Bubba