Heat pump

If you have a heat pump and a natural gas furnace what happens when the heat pump is in operation and it freezes up.

Will the Natural gas furnace take over in its place?

Thanks

Tom

Reply to
tflfb

Ummm..first, WHY is your heat pump freezing over? Unless you have a bad defrost board, or a low charge that should not happen.

Second, your gas unit should be wired in as your secondary heat source, and as such, the thermostat will call for second stage, and the fossil fuel controller will then cut the heat pump out of the loop, and you will have just your gas unit running.

Reply to
CBHvac

No not freezing up, thought that the Aux heat ( Nat gas furnace ) would kick in at 25 deg's, my pump is running at 25 maintains 72 degs inside the house.

Tom

Reply to
tflfb

Normally, I would have wired the gas to come in about 30º F, but if it is doing that good of a job holding the temp, let it run.

Bobby

Reply to
BGBevill

Hi tflfb, hope you are having a nice day

On 03-Dec-03 At About 09:02:04, tflfb wrote to All Subject: Heat pump

t> From: "tflfb"

t> If you have a heat pump and a natural gas furnace what happens when t> the heat pump is in operation and it freezes up.

t> Will the Natural gas furnace take over in its place?

No, the heat pump will defrost and take over again until second stage heat is called for. at that point the heat pump should shut down and the furnace will take over. this is of course on a standard system. I cannot see yours so I cannot say for sure that this is the sequence.

-=> HvacTech2

Reply to
HvacTech2