heat not working

I know squat about furnices, so thought I would give this a shot. We moved into a home that's been unoccupied for a year. It's starting to get cold, so we turned on the heat last night. We heard the blower kick in, but ... no heat. We have hot water so I think that would eliminate the pilot light being out. We have a full tank of oil. I'm not sure if there is anything else I can look at before we call a professional. Thanks!
Tell us about the heating unit, first.
Sounds like you have oil-fired forced-air for heat and gas for domestic hot-water.
Assuming that, hearing "blower kick in" would seem to indicate that the furnace temp got up to fan-switch set-point, because the burner was on. If ... you had the thermostat set to heat with fan on automatic.
For a bunch of reasons, I'd call the oil company, and have them perform normal annual service on the whole heating system. Many bad things can happen with oil-burner out of "tune."
HTH, J

That's what I'll do then. I actually set the thermostat to heat and on (not automatic, the heat never kicked in on the automatic setting)

If you just got the house and never tried the furnace yet And never worked on a furnace before.
Call a pro to do a thorough check of the system.
As you said the "oil tank is full". You may also want to call your oil supplier, as many offer "flat rate repair insurance"
Unless the furnace is relatively new, you can spend a lot of money on repairs before you know it.
AMUN