Heat loss, thermometer, temperature gun

Hello, I was looking into how to better insulate my house and started reading about infrared temperature guns to better identify some of the areas that could be improved. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that a filter on my digital camera is going to cut it :-(

Anyway, I've seen devices from $30-$500+ and wanted to ask for anyone's experience with such products. Some appear to require contact, others don't, some have laser-guides, etc. and the functions seem to range from engine diagnostics to checking reptile temperatures.

I'm basically interested in something that I can point at a location and get reading from so that I can compare it to a reference point. I would prefer a non-contact device to one that requires contact.

Does anyone have experience these types of tools? Would I be able to get what I want from the $30 reptile device, or do I need to step up a little more to be able to test windows, etc.?

I've also checked the local electric company regarding home audits (they don't perform them), but I have other uses in mind down the road, so I'd like to get my own device rather than outsource it.

Thank you, Dave

Reply to
Dave

I got one at radioshack for apx 20, infrared. And basicly ,it works fine but it wont give you the true overall overview of what needs to be done. A Pro IR photo is needed, as is a blower door test. Get an Ir thermoter at radioshack, it cheap, you will learn a little, , very little, but it will tell you if your coffee is hot enough.

Reply to
m Ransley

If you have a decent 35 mm camera you can get a roll of 35 mm infared film and go around you house taking pictures on a really cold day.

Reply to
Lawrence James

I use one at work almost daily. The biggest problem you may have with an IR gun is they read best on a surface that is colored flat black. They may not read accurately on other colors and glossy surfaces. Shiney copper for instance throws it way off! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

A 35 mm camera lens has IR coatings to reduce IR problems with regular film. There are different IR films , the one I tried with a good camera did not work. And whether it could work would take research, but i dought its effectiveness. If it was that easy then nobody would pay for Energy Consultants, and Energy consultants would not need cameras that cost 5000

Reply to
m Ransley