Heat Functional, But Heating Zones Not?

Well I foolishly tried posting this question at the obvious alt.hvac. Now I'll try where REAL people try to give REAL answers.

I have a two-zone furnace. Zone 1 controls upstairs heat, zone 2 controls downstairs. However, while the upstairs maintains its heat, and in some cases, even registers above temp setting (2-3 degrees F greater on occasion), I never seem to see that zone calling for heat (I'm watching damper control LED's in the basement to see which is active. Green = active; red = inactive).

Both floors are set at same temp setting. I have observed that with zone 2 calling (green LED at damper) and with heat flow through the zone 2 ducts, I am sometimes also feeling heat flow through my zone 1 ducts at the same time, although the zone 1 dampers are still inactive (red LED). The only time that I actually see zone 1 call, is if I set the upstairs temp higher than the downstairs temp at which point zone

1 dampers then go active (green LED). Why does zone 1 never seem to call on its own, and while I recognize the air flow I feel at zone 1 while zone 2 is active might be 'residual' flow from zone 2, how can the upstairs temp be exceeding its set point? Does the damper never really fully close on the 'non-calling' zone? Is this thing wired and/or operating correctly? Zone control is EWC Ultra Zone. Thanks!
Reply to
Jim

I really wish I could help you.

Reply to
HeatMan

Hot air rises. In the summer if you have AC working on the same system, you may find that the lower floor is seldom active.

It also should be noted that in most situations using dampers, they are seldom totally sealed.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Hot air rises. The furnace is going to run a long time in order to keep the basement heated. You're not going to stop all that hot air from rising. Cold air drops...what do you think is going to happen when summer rolls around and your AC is on?

The dampers are not sealing 100%, many are actually designed to allow XX amount of CFM to pass through even when closed. Common sense says to feel the air flow with the thermostat satisfied and then crank up the thermostat so that it's calling and feel the air flow again. Big difference? Then odds are the damper system is working normally. With a whopping 2º overshoot (once in a while), I'd say it's most likely working. If you set the basement stat to 70º and the upstair was hitting 80º, then I'd say you have a damper failed open.

You already mentioned that the upstairs is at or slightly above the preset temp. so why do you expect to see Zone 1 calling for heat? It sounds to me as if the system is keeping you comfortable and the only problem is your obsession with the LEDS.

Now if a 2º overshoot upstairs is so critical to you, then rip out the downstairs ceilings and insulate the hell out of the floor joist areas.

If it's still bugging you, open the yellow pages and call out a tech. Just be prepared to pay for his time even if he finds nothing wrong.

George

Reply to
vairxpert

Actually no, my obsession is with my ever complaining wife who wakes me up and complains that she's too warm. However, I'm willing to bet it's more from 'real-life' changes as opposed to a 'whopping 2 degrees overshoot'...

Thanks though for your feedback George. I shall wait and see if the situation is reversed once the AC fires up in the warmer weather...

Reply to
Jim

alt.hotflashes ;)

If nobody sleeps downstairs just turn that stat way down at night.

Reply to
vairxpert