heat cycle

I got some chocolate ice cream on the roof of my refrigerator's freezer, and I want to wipe it off during the heat cycle, but how do I know when the heat cycle is?
Yes, I know I could just use some warm water on a dishrag, but now I really want to know when the heat cycle is.
I have a frost free Whirlpool about 35 years old, but I'd also be interested in how people with other fridges do it.
On Friday, July 25, 2014 10:59:35 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:

Doing it during the "heat" cycle isn't going to make a difference. It's actually a defrost cycle and it only heats up the coils, which are hidden, not the interior surfaces of the freezer. Just use a warm, wet sponge with some detergent.
trader_4 wrote:

I don't have that problem. We don't eat ice cream, LOL!
My freezer has a defrost timer 24 hour clock at the fron bottom behind the kick plate. It cyucles the defrost heater on once every 24 hours for about 30 minutes, just to dissolve the ice that builds up on the coils that are out of sight behind the back panel in my case. Justuse some warm water and clean it up, or else remove the kick plate and see if you can find a timer . I understand some models defrost not once every 24 hours, but once the a ccumulated on-time for the compressor excedds some preset time.
On Sat, 26 Jul 2014 13:17:31 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net"

So you mean the frost they're talking about is on the coils. When I defrosted my freezers it was the frost and ice on the compartment walls I got rid of, and I assumed all this time that's what they were talking about too! After all, I don't have any of that with this fridge.

I've looked there, not for a timer especially, but I think I woudl have noticed one. I'll look again. . BTW, we had one with a timer like that back in 1955, an automatic defrosting Crosley Shevador. My mother kept setting the timer for when she wanted it to defrost, in the middle of the night, but it never worked. The last year we lived there, I found out it was supposed to be set to the current time!

That's a good idea, but bad for me.
Thanks, and thanks everyone.
BTW, usually my ice cream is in a box, but this was a cone too big for me to eat. I was manipulating it between a box and some bags of vegetables, to stand upright, and that's when I hit the roof.