Heat anticipator setting...

Ok, I messed with my thermostat and screwed with the heat anticipator. I want to set it back, but don't remember where it was to begin with.

I've checked my gas valve and it's rated for a 0.3amp draw. From everything I see online, I should set the heat anticipator to 0.3 and make adjustments if needed.

Sound right?

Reply to
Noozer

The right way is to amp the current through the white lead and set the anticipator to match. If the gas valve is the only load on the low voltage heating circuit then set it to 0.3. If there are other loads as well then 0.3 won't be correct. Just put it somewhere in the middle and go to bed. It isn't a perfect science; the anticipator only adjusts the length of the on cycle, digital stats don't even have an anticipator.

hvacrmedic

Reply to
RP

Under normal circumstances, yes.

adjustments

Reply to
Bob

if your furnace is staying on too long, i.e. long cycles, set your anticipator for higher resistance (= lower current setting ) ...i.e so it generates more heat in the thermo and shuts the furnace off sooner....

if your furnace is short cycling, not staying on long enought, set your anticipator for a lwer resistance (=higher current setting) so that is generates less heat in the thermo and lets your furnace stay on longer

The anticipator is simply a small heat generating element near the thermosdat that creates a little local heat when the furnace is on... the adjustment control how much heat and therefore how long it takes for the thermosdadt to eb "satisfied" then the furnace comes on..

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Low anticipator settings seem to burn out Taco zone valve power heads. When they are set at .9, it seems to solve the problem. Never could figure out why, and never bothered to call Taco. I always just figured it had something to do with resistance.

Reply to
Bob

I guess I've never seen Taco valves on standard t-stats. Maybe that's why. :)

hvacrmedic

Reply to
RP

Around me, they rarely use the Taco thermostats. People always seem to have a T87F.

Reply to
Bob

Change them.

hvacrmedic

Reply to
RP

That's what I'm planning on doing. I'm switching to all digital stats. The Honeywell T8775C1005 comes with a 4074 FAB resistor for use with Taco zone valves. That way there's no anticipator for the customer to mess with.

Reply to
Bob

Reply to
Bubba