Hear water meter 'clicking' throughout the pipes when in-ground sprinkler running

Page 2 of 2
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Me too. Grass knows what to do when it doesn't rain as often.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Hi, That'll sound like Kaching, Kaching, not click, click, LOL!

Sometimes for older mechanical read only meters.

Why don't you check it? Read the meter, fill up a gallon jug as many times as you feel are adequate and empty it on the lawn. Read the meter again. Ten jug trips ought to show 10.0 on the meter. Continue until you are certain of the meter correlation with the number of jugs of water. Remember to fill the jugs to the exact level that they were when purchased with liquid content. Five gallon pails are too awkward to mess with.
Joe
Joe wrote:

What liquids are sold by the cubic foot?
MikeB

Some meters do read gallons though. In any case, be sure you know what it is reading.

Ours reads HCF (hundreds of cubic feet) with smallest increment being 1/10 of a HCF.

Problem is that the smallest whell in our meter reads in 10ths of a HCF increments which is about 75 gallons and so I would need to run and measure a lot of water to get an accurate reading.
blueman wrote:

Hi, 1. Is the clicking frequency slows down if water use is reduced? Regardless, meter needs a replacement(it is wearing out) Our meter is electronic type with radio signal. Reader just drives by our house to read it. I heard ultimately they will read it remotely via satellite hook up.
2. Running pressure of 80psi is I think too high. If you don't have regulator, install one and bring it down to 60 psi. If it is running at 80, static pressure could be well over 100 which is too much. Checked static pressure in the night when water use is at it's low?

Yes - it seems volume related.

I scheduled someone from Water & Sewer to come by tomorrow morning.

We now have an electronic type where I think they just hook up a card reader on the outside of the house. Supposedly we are moving to a drive-by system so maybe they will replace mine with that type.

Right now: Static pressure: 90 Pressure with full sprinkler running: 72.
I agree it is high and probably causing wear & tear on valves.
- How much would it cost to install a pressure reducer? - Wouldn't I also then need a (thermal) expansion tank for my water heater?
It's been this way for a long time and I assume my neighbors all have similar pressure. Is it really worth fixing or should I be thankful for "good pressure"?