Hear water meter 'clicking' throughout the pipes when in-ground sprinkler running

Page 1 of 2
When our in-ground sprinkler is running outside, I can hear the water meter 'clicking' through all the pipes -- including as far away as our 3rd floor bathroom. All the pipes are secured properly using clamps and we never hear any other water hammering or vibration noises. The clicking definitely comes from the water meter itself and sounds like a metronome beating at at 4-5 beats/second. The pipes themselves are not detectably physically vibrating (though the sound from the water meter is obviously transmitted through them).
The irrigation system is high volume in the sense that the supply lines are 1" copper followed by 1" plastic irrigation piping that feed 3-5 Hunter rotors per zone. I assume other high flow applications would set the water meter vibrating similarly. Our water pressure is on the high side (about 80 psi) but that is supposedly normal for our area.
- Is this "normal" for a water meter? - Could this be affecting the metering? (either positively or negatively) - Any ideas?

No, it is not normal. I had a noisy water meter for many years, once it alerted me to a broken water pipe by its fast noisy sound. It was upgraded to a remote read meter and the new meter was silent. Call you water works or whoever controls and owns the meter.

Is it likely to still be metering accurately? Or does noise imply that the metering function itself is broken...

Well just had it replaced by the city today. New meter is nicer in that it easier to read and includes (digital) wheels down to the 1/100th of a cubic foot plus a nice tattle wheel.
However... the meter is now actually a little louder when the sprinkler runs.
I checked the flow rate and the sprinkler is using about 11 gallons/minute to feed the heads in each zone. The city input pipe is 1.5" galvanized (but 110+ years old so effective diameter is probably less). With the new meter I am getting slightly higher static and dynamic pressure (about 198 and 180-185 respectively).
By the way, the water & sewer guy didn't think I should worry about the high pressure. It seems like it is common in much of the city.

Call the meter company. They will send a large build woman. She can fix it.

Is the noise likely to also be a symptom that the metering function is inaccurate or broken??? I would hate to think that I have been overcharged for all these years (though wouldn't mind an undercharge ;)
Re Re: Hear water meter 'clicking' throughout the pipes when in-ground sprinkler running:

Yes, there's a good chance of that.
--
I filter all messages from google groups.

Yes, depending on the type of meter. Ours "clicked" away while water was running and my sharp eared wife could hear it ..like tapping on the stud(s) where it was attached in the basement

I guess on our system it must be pretty normal because the sound if anything got louder when we replaced the meter. Must have to do with the high flow rate of the sprinkler system. Kind of annoying though...

When I lived in Ga the meter was mounted in the basement and would click loudly whenever we filled the pool. I used to refer to this sound as money falling down the drain. This was particularly expensive when the city quit charging a flat rate for sewer and it was based on 2 times water usage. Shortly after that there was a company opened up that started filling pools from a tanker truck.
Jimmie

Just my luck, they sent a guy. Though he was quite helpful and not particularly large-built.

Are you sure that is not the sound of coins being thrown away? My lawn gets watered every time it rains; and only when it rains.

Very true - my water bill for the 3rd quarter is typically over $1000 and I barely water (we live in the Boston area which has one of the highest water/sewer rates in the world because of the Harbor cleanup fiasco).
However, all the work I put into the lawn seems to go to waste if it doesn't rain for a week or so and I don't supplement with water (note I try to water sparingly only if it doesn't rain for). Our soil seems to dry out and we have a lot of silver maples surrounding the yard which seem to suck up lots of water. And my wife complains when the lawn gets all brown and then thinks we should get a lawn service (which means throwing away more $$$$).... <sigh>

The energy, time and costs of growing grass is a wasteful occupation. Our local horticulturist recommends clover which puts nitrogen back into the soil and is much less prone to pesky bugs. I must get around to cutting back and front (about one quarter acre of grass all told, this week or next I think that will be only the second (or at most third) time this year. If when we get any bare patches sprinkling a bit of white clover seed works well. White clover flowers have a slightly sweet taste; but one has to make sure next door's dog (or cat) hasn't pee'd on the 'grass'! Some people add cover flowers to salads. Very bees around this year; why? Spotted a neighbour recently using some four litres of some sort of chemical on his minute patch of 'grass'.. Hope none of that blew over here! Odd two that both his dogs got cancer! BTW I can never recall ever watering our 'lawn' and this summer we have had so little rain and last winter less snow that normally so that municipal water conservation rules have been in effect for a month and a half! In late June the local water reservoir ponds, from which our potable water comes were at 'end of August levels'. To anybody on metered water it must be expensive? Wasteful is spraying in bright sunlight, the water evaporating almost as quickly as it hits the ground! Instead of in the evenings or at night. Lawn spraying and home car washing not presently allowed due to water shortage. Think I will find out how much it will cost to get a comprehensive water quality and chemical composition test of our old well. Thank goodness we kept the well pump.
stan wrote:

http://www.richsoil.com/lawn/god.jsp
blueman wrote:

Why not replace the lawn or most of it with something suitable for your climate such as a rock garden or whatever occurs naturally where you are?
Trying to have a putting green lawn has to be one of the biggest wastes of money and resources going.

Holy crap, I pay $450 a year.
blueman wrote:

Whoa! That amount will cover all my utility bills! Power, Water, NG. I got rid of most of my grass in my yard.

We pay (water & sewer): $9.95/HCF (for 1-20) [1.3 cents/gallon] $11.95/HCF (for 21-27) [1.6 cents/gallon] $14.34/HCF (for >70) [1.9 cents/gallon]
Our *quarterly* bills with no watering (winter months) are about 30 HCF and up to 100 HCF during peak summer quarter. This is for 6 people which comes to about 41 gallons/day/person not including watering.

And I thought I had high water bills this June and July (temperatures over 100 degrees much of the time).

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us