Headsup, Precision Garage Door

Well (another) story from Precision Garage Door Repair.

Perhaps the work was unnecessarily complex or the door was unusually fubar; I cannot say. But I paid $800 to have a broken garage door spring replaced on a 10 year old house. I'm not saying what anyone should or should not do, I'm only saying to be an informed consumer when dealing with Precision Garage Door Repair.

Henry

Reply to
Henry Hide

Many whole new doors don't cost that much installed. Clearly you were swindled.

Learn how it's done and what it should cost; even if you hire out the work, you will have the critical tools to get a fair deal:

Richard J Kinch

It's probably too late but, I suggest you stop the check, and call your local "precision". Tell them that you are contacting the BBS (this will not do much), and your Attorney General and local news reporters(this WILL help), to report their buisness practices. Inform them that you will only pay the going rate for the service that they performed. My customers have told me that Precision will drop the price quite a substantial amount.

Get a quote from several local companies first. Tell the others what happened, and ask for a price with ALL of the parts that were serviced. The other companys should be glad to help you, they don't usually like other places making a bad name of garage door services.

If you can't get a price from other places in the area, which should be no problem especially if you mention the name "Precision", this list should help a little.

("HIGH" prices in my area) I'm only guessing but, for one broken spring, they changed....

(2) springs (good idea, if one breaks the other is soon to follow) - $65 each -Upgraded to "lifetime springs" (high cycle springs) - $85 each (3) bearings, maybe four if you have two center-pads - $8 each (2) drums $20 - pair (10) rollers - $6 each (1)hour service call - $65

Total= $347

This price is figured high to give you an idea of what this service should really cost compaired to what they have charged you. Normally, on a broken spring call, I end up charging between $105-$200. A brand new steel door (16x7) shouldn't have costed what you paid to service your old one.

Do me a favor when you call Precision with a threat to inform the Attorney General... follow up with your threat.

Reply to
Joe

Thanks for the replies about Precision Garage Door. I'm more angry with myself than anything.

I know $800 for two springs, two bearings, and 10 side rollers is insane. The repairman tried to sell me the bar across the top of the door (runs in the center of the springs), a new opener because the plastic gear is always compromised after a spring breaks (his words not mine), new side cables, and a few other things.

I said no; just replace the minimum. I still swallowed hard when I saw the pricetag. I think it is too late for me to do anything, but I will do whatever I can to see that Precision Garage Door gets no more business from people I know. I already directed my neighbor to someone else.

Henry

Reply to
Henry Hide

I know the image is unfairly dramatic, but I shudder to think what would have happened had my grandmother called Precision. Had I let the man from Precision talk me into replacing the opener and all the mounting hardware, the price would easily push $2 grand!!

Henry

Reply to
Henry Hide

Richard J Kinch

VERY nice site BTW. I will keep this bookmarked and pass it along.

Henry

Reply to
Henry Hide

I paid $600 each to have brand new insulated doors and all new hardware (tracks, springs, etc)installed about a year ago. This is within $50 of the going price in my area. I can't immagine this costing any more than $1000 in the most expensive parts of the country.

Reply to
Mark

Henry,

where are you located?