Haze on Outdoor Brick Pavers

Last year l layed a layer of brick pavers on top of an old concrete patio. I used standard masonry mortar. Now the bricks have this gray haze on them that I can't seem to clean off. The bricks look fine when wet, but as soon as they dry off, the haze comes back. I've tried muriatic acid (various concentrations) and acetone, but nothing seems to work. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
Hammond Egger

in color? If so this may be a fungus commonly called gray mold, a fungicide will help, standard house hold bleach has been known to help. Gray mold is hard to control. Terry Lewis Contracting

Reply to
lewisconva

If it is from the mortar, muric acid should be able to clean it off.

I might add that if you are in a freeze zone, you may be sorry you used mortar, due to cracks, I suggest sand for such projects.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

My pavers were like that when I bought them from Home Depot. I questioned it and they told me that once they were rained on or washed off, they would be fine. Yep, when they were washed or rained on, they were fine, a nice reddish orange color, that is until they dried. Oh yeah, they'll take 'em back, but my back and groin sez that the grayish dusty looking color will have to do.

Reply to
TOM KAN PA