Hayward Navigator pool cleaner gets stuck at steps

My automatic pool cleaner, which used to work flawlessly (except for big leaves getting stuck in the throat) now gets stuck at the steps in the shallow end. This began right after I replaced the pods. The cleaner has new pods, feet, flaps, and wings. It appears that the cleaner is not longer turning, but just travelling in a straight line all the time.
The pool store near me will diagnose it for free, but I won't be able to take it in until Friday, and even then, the person who is actually competent at repairing them isn't there all the time. Any suggestions on what I can try before then? The suggestions in the manual haven't helped (adjusting vacuum, turning the flap adjustment to I and III, adjusting hose length).
-Jonathan         snipped-for-privacy@sonic.net
Its a simple fix, I used to work for years at a Pool supply wholesale house and worked on the Pool vacs non stop. What is causing it to only go in a straight line sounds like a faulty gearbox. It is a small gearbox that is about 2-1/2 inches square. It is probably around $40 to $65 for one. If you are mechanically inclined, you can take apart the unit and pop in a new one yourself. If the unit is still under warranty, than you just need to bring it into an authorized dealer for repair.
You can go to Haywards site and pull up a schematic on the parts and you will see what i am talking about.
Good luck.
snipped-for-privacy@sonic.net (Pond Scum) wrote in message
Actually, here is a link to the parts breakdown.
http://www.holidaypools.net/layout1b.cfm?itemh4
The gearbox is only $24