Hayward comfortzone inground pool heater - pilot won't light

The pilot won't light on our Hayward comfort zone pool heater. It has a switch that is supposed to do it, but nothing happens when we use it. Is it safe to try to light it with a match? Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Reply to
garagesaler

If you can get a match near the flame, sure.

I find the first time I turn it on each spring it takes a while to get it to light the first time. Make sure all the pipes are open, and turn it on, let it run for a while. If it doesn't light turn it off for a while then back on. And so on.

I've found the heaters to be far from trouble free. In the second year I replaced the pressure sensor and the manifold (leaking).

In the fourth year I had to replace the control board (it wouldn't light). The only way I could diagnose it was I found one of the components hanging lose from the board.

I think I'm starting the 7th season now. Last year the fan wouldn't run so I opened it up and the fan was extremely rusted. I did manage to get it turning and haven't replaced it yet but I'm pretty sure I will have to this year.

Oops, more than you wanted to know...

Reply to
Dan Espen