Hayard Inground Pool Pump Runs but No Pressure

Today I came home from work and noticed that it looked like the pump was not on. Which is odd because its on a timer. I went out to the filter and the pump is certainly on and running but it is not circulating any water and there is no pressure reading on the filter. Could the Impeller be bad or maybe a broken shaft? Has this happened to anyone out there? Can I disassemble and replace parts or do I have to get a whole new pump?

The impeller spins on the end of the shaft but it is left hand thread.

You can probably find a manual on the Hayward site.
Bob
Bob wrote:

Is it possible it's air locked? I've had that happen on my spa. I guess it's possible the impeller could be broken and the shaft just spinning, but that doesn't seem likely. In any case, these pumps generally have seals and impellers that can be replaced.
On 24 Jul 2006 19:54:29 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Haywards do spin the imperller now and then. It is fairly well captive in the housing so it just sits there. The threads can be stripped. If it was air locked, turning it off and back on should get it going again assuming there is water in the basket. I have never seen it tho.
In typed:

From the sound of your question, you need to get a pool man to check it out. It may or may not have been ruined. Most likely you developed an air leak and air in the pump stopped it from pumping, but if it ran long enough it may have damaged things inside.
Have you tried filling the basket with water and restarting it?
Pop
I've had it happen, what everyone has referred to as air locked. The only remedy was to unplug pump, set to backwash, let the water start to flow on gravity alone. Start pump, allow to run on backwash, then reset it to filter. No matter what I tried I could never get it to restart pumping without this ritual. Hope this helps. Mike
Thanks for all the info folks. I had the pool guy come out this morning. Turns out the impeller is broken. The bad news is that the pump is attached to the housing with four bolts and one of those bolts just spins. Meaning that the threaded insert in the housing is junk. The pool is 20-yrs old and I don't know how old this pump is so I am getting a new pump & housing assembly and keeping everything else as spare parts. Thanks again for your input.
In typed:

That was the right thing to do IMO, and at 20 years it's probably the second or third pump if all went normally so it's likely time for another motor at least if you're north, for sure if you're south. BTW, it's HayWard, not Hayard. One thing though:
The bolts that fasten the pump to the impeller part (motor) are not threaded in Haywards: They are, in my experience, bolts with a nut on the other side. So I wonder if you misunderstood something, or ... .
Pop`