Have you had to replace your fuel pump?

Page 3 of 6  
wrote:

Got little if anything to do with car thefts - it is an exhaust emission/air quality thing.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
.

Charlotte NC said it was a car theft thing when they passed a law you could not leave a parked car running without the driver in it. They did not mention air quality even though it is the largest city in the state.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 12:31:19 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"

I've seen both emissions and theft given as the reason. Emissions doesn't make much sense, because you can be sitting in the car and then you're permitted to "emit." The laws/regs I've seen about it usually say something like "idling unattended with keys in the ignition." It's was a bad practice anyway when cars would sometimes shift out of neutral and take off. I don't like it because it's bad for the engine. Runs richer longer in the winter than just driving away, which warms the engine faster. Where it's hot, opening the door and windows when you start out is probably 5 times more efficient and faster than asking the A/C to heat up 140 degree air. Remote start is really totally unnecessary and a simple luxury. No different than granite counters or diamond jewelry. My wife has used it on one of our cars in the winter before I convinced her to start parking it in our unheated garage. That car is gone now, and I would never have an aftermarket remote start installed, because it complicates the electrical system and a fault like a bad connection can strand you or cause other issues. If it's in the car you buy, you might just be stuck with it.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 15:12:34 -0500, Vic Smith

You want greenies to make sense? LOL! It's also a noise thing. Presumably, when you're in the car, you have a reason to be there. The car is idling for "no reason". Trucks often idle overnight, so the law is passed to make idling illegal.

Different law, different reasons.

How does a car shift out of neutral on its own? An automatic should be in park and a manual shifting by itself?

With fuel injection, it shouldn't run rich6 for very long and you really don't want to drive it until it's at least off "high idle".

Works well enough for me.

You say that like luxuries are bad things? That's what most of us work for.

It's always an option (on the few cars it's offered on at all).
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Ask Ford. They would go from Park to Reverse. http://www.autosafety.org/ford-transmissions-failure-hold-park
From the artical: including reports of 6,000 accidents, 1,710 injuries, and 98 fatalities .
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 19:26:40 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"

My foreman at U.S. Steel had his leg broken by his Ford when it ran over him at South Works. 1968. Swore he had it in Park. Besides that, some autos will idle motionless in drive or reverse, just waiting for the dog, cat, or child to push on the gas pedal. No shifting required. I like some creep.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 19:26:40 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"

How did it get from neutral to park?

Irrelevant.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 10/16/2012 6:07 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

I usually read everything I get my hands on when I have to sit and wait somewhere like a doctor's office. I was at a truck stop one day waiting for something or other and I picked up a trucker's magazine which had an article about states and municipalities passing laws prohibiting trucks being left idling. The enforcers were going after trucks that were waiting to be unloaded in various shipping areas like shipyards. The solution is APU's for trucks which are not considered illegal to run. The drivers were leaving their trucks idling to keep them warm/cool inside the cab/sleeper depending on the weather and to run their computers and entertainment gear, etc. A lot of truckers are installing auxiliary power units in their trucks to keep from running afoul of the law. ^_^
TDD
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 15:12:34 -0500, Vic Smith

Not in any of the 6 local municipalities I am familiar with. No more than 4 or 5 minutes of idling - with you in the car or not.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I guess police cars are exempt. News vehicles, fire, etc. Large trucks often let their engines run at truck stops, roadways.
Greg

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Illegal now in many places - most of California included. And in some areas all municipal vehicles are specifically INCLUDED in the prohibition.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Vic Smith wrote:

Hi, I always install remote starter myself when I get neew car. I get after market one for the particular vehicle and it is usually a one afternoon job. It is not a luxury item living in a cold winter zone.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Don't think I would ever install one again myself. I did it about 15 years ago. Not fun, but appreciated having it greatly. Until 1 1/2 years ago, having manual windows is all I had except or auto start. Now, my truck has everything, except the heated washer fluid does not work.
Greg
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 12:31:19 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"

Well, in Cambridge, Waterloo, Kitchener, Toronto, Hamilton, Caledon and Guelph Ontario it is an air quality thing. The Caledon law is actually part of a noise bylaw because it was easier to pass.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 19:42:52 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Yeah, but that's different. As far as I know those anti-polution laws apply even if you're sitting behind the wheel. Is that right?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 19:03:30 -0500, Vic Smith

Yes.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

How often does a car sit idling in a lot, while millions sit halted in traffic.
Greg
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Several of the bylaws stipulate no idling within so many feet or meters of a building entrance.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

did you somehow miss the "unattended" part?
Harry K
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 12:22:25 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

...and noise.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Site Timeline

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.