Have you ever used this funky style 2" PVC sliding pipe connection

I'm cutting out a leaking ion-exchange unit at the pool equipment.

The local hardware store talked me into this funky repair pipe:

Have you ever used one of these funky things before?

Reply to
Danny D

Don't let any of the dilithium crystals spill out.....

No, and have no idea what it is, what it's purpose is, etc.

Reply to
trader4

:)

It's some kind of funky fancy no-fuss "slider" pipe. :)

I'm inclined to put the schedule 80 compression fitting in there (the store didn't have any schedule 40 compression fittings), but the pipe is so low to the ground, I might not have enough room.

That ion-exchange thing is a PITA - I can't even figure out how to disconnect it - so I'm going brute force sawit out. :(

Why do they put these things in there anyway?

Reply to
Danny D

They didn't have any schedule 40 unions in stock! :)

I'm sawing out the leaking ion-exchange thingey, so, I'll let you know how it works (if I use it, and not the schedule 80 union).

Reply to
Danny D

In news:kplfik$91a$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org, Danny D belched:

I've used one on one of my pool connection with no issues

Reply to
ChairMan

WTF is a Sched 80 or 40 "compression fitting"?

And what's wrong with normal PVC fittings that make them unsuitable?

Reply to
trader4

One of these, for example:

The compression fitting was darn handy one time when I had to fix an underground plastic pipe.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Yes, I used one to repair the connection to the manifold of our sprinkler system. Nobody talked me into it: as soon as I saw it, I knew that it was what I needed to do the job in the simplest possible way.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Here is a picture of it collapsed and extended.

It seems to have an o-ring that prevents leaks.

Reply to
Danny D

Yup. I don't disagree. The buyer seems to have paid for all the frills.

Funny thing though.

After paying for all the upgrades, they gave him steel bolts!

Danny D

Dean Hoffman showed a picture of the compression fittin:

But, I was mistaken by calling my fitting that; mine was a schedule 80 union.

Nothing. I just like being able to take things apart, if needed:

Danny D

FYI: if you can, put a little waterproof grease on the o-ring before assembly. It helps make a better seal. Mine leaked a bit for a couple days until it got a crud seal

Reply to
ChairMan

The o-ring in the funky fitting is in a different place than in a union; so in the end, I opted for the union (worried that the o-ring would leak).

Danny D

I didn't like the way the funky fitting sealed. The o-ring was on the end of the sliding pipe in the direction of the flow of water ... whereas, with a union ... the o-ring is in the middle of the screw-together connection, away from the direct flow of water.

With all that pressure, I was worried the funky tool would leak. So, in the end, I opted for the schedule 80 union instead:

Danny D

DADD-

omg...you're at it again!

Making a mountain out of a mole hill..... injecting your substandard logic & experience into a simple situation, dragging out the thread ad nauseum

I know you're close to SV....does Google not work in your area?

The unit is a "telescoping coupling", a simple / effective means for following application ........

S119-20 2 inch repair coupling, slip x slip If you need to make a repair on pipe that is not easily moved, this is what you need. Telescoping couple, 2" socket by 2" socket. One end moves in and out to match up with existing pipe. Saves digging up the whole pipe to make a repair. NSF Rated for potable water, pressure up to 200PSI.

I've only installed two, the largest unit I've used is 3/4". Last one installed in ~2005...no issues on either install.

Kinda like "Shark Bites"... might seem like magic but the design concepts are sound

and in the age of internet, bad product performance would "blow back" onto the mfr & sellers post haste.

Reply to
DD_BobK

*It looks like an expansion coupling. Probably just what you need to fit a new piece in.
Reply to
John Grabowski

So, it's like a Sharkbite. I didn't know they made them as large as 2".

And of course a "union" is a normal PVC fitting and you're not using a compression fitting. I'll bet those 2" compression fittings cost a fortune. I'm having a hard time imagining the need to use one, versus say doing a repair using two 50cent repair couplings and a piece of PVC pipe.

Reply to
trader4

So, what? If it fails, just replace the whole union. Are those compression fittings meant to be taken apart and put back together again many times, like a union?

unions.- Hide quoted text -

Reply to
trader4

Still not sure what makes this so great versus a piece of PVC and two repair couplings.

Reply to
trader4

Difficult to imagine that that's the general case with compression fittings. Aren't they generally used for waste pipe? i.e. no or very low static pressure?

Personally I've only used them for plumbing a swimming pool filtration system that included a heater. Obviously, outdoor installation, entire system under pressure and subject to the elements. Once properly aligned and snugged down leakage was never a problem.

Why? End of season you want to drain everything down, pull the pump for winterization. Compression fittings like these made that a snap.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused