Have you ever found any dead skeletons in walls?

A good topic for the Halloween season.....

While this is something often seen in horror movies, I imagine it can and does happen in real life too. Dead insects and mice skeletons are fairly common, but what about other critters, or even human skeletons?

Personally, in all my years of working on homes and other buildings, the worst I found was the skeleton of a cat above a ceiling, in a building I was helping demolish. The building had been a used as a livestock auction barn.

I was sort of repulsed when I found it, even though all that remained was a skeleton and a lot of fur. Fortunately I was above it, pulling off roof boards, not below it. The building was being torn down by hand to salvage all the lumber, and I was hired to assist the guy who was doing the job.

I've also found other stuff in walls and other parts of buildings. The most common were tools (which I always liked to find), and things like spare plumbing or electrical parts. I've also found tin cans, a dish, glass jars, and few coins. I never found that stack of hundred dollar bills I always hoped to find.... And all the old homes had used razor blades behind the bathroom medicine cabinet, because those cabinets were made with a slot to deposit them blades into the wall. (which was a stupid idea)....

Reply to
Paintedcow

Found a dead desiccated mouse in floor under a kitchen cabinet. Thankfully it must have died when flies could not lay eggs or it would be a big problem with smell. Why I never use rat poison in the house and confine it to attic.

Son had squirrel die stuck in chimney liner and between chimney repair and wall repair cost him nearly $1,000.

Another son heard a squirrel stuck in his Heatilator fireplace and got a grate open, borrowed my Hav-a-hart trap and got the squirrel safely out of the house.

Many years ago, we rented our first home which had a clothes drier in the basement vented out the basement wall. During the summer a rabbit died in the drier and got maggots. The repairman came and took it out and immediately tossed his cookies. Wife was scared because basement was crawling with maggots and got an exterminator.

Animals getting caught in the house can cause a lot of problems. We were lucky a couple of years ago taking care of sons old cat that kept jumping on top our clothes drier to investigate and find birds were nesting and had packed the ajar drier vent cap with twigs. Cat may have saved us from a drier fire.

Reply to
Frank