Have Waxless Toilet Rings Changed/Improved?

I just watched an episode of Disaster DIY with host Bryan Baeumler. When he was installing a toilet, he used a wax ring with the flange that goes into the drain pipe.

As he was installing the ring, he said to the homeowner (more or less) "Have you ever seen the rubber seals? Don't use them. Whenever I've removed a toilet with a rubber seal, the seal has always been dried out and cracked." Actually, I don't recall if he said "seal" or "ring" but he definitely said "rubber" and not "waxless".

I tried to see when the show was produced, but the only thing I caught in the credits was "Copyright 2008".

So, having never used a waxless ring, do you think he was talking about what you guys have suggested in this ng many times or could there be something different that he was talking about? If the episode _was_ from

2008 (I don't know what was copyright 2008 - the episode or Bryan's media company or something else) is it possible that the early waxless rings were not as good?
Reply to
DerbyDad03

If it works, why fix it? I have had beeswax rings last for many decades.

Reply to
Lab Lover