have i broken my dryer?

Some loose change was clanging around in my dryer. I stopped the dryer and rotated the drum maybe half a turn with my hand. I removed the change and turned the dryer back on. It now makes this strange sort of scraping sound (i can't describe it well). Have I broken something or gotten something misaligned by manuall turning the drum? (maybe I turned it backwards? -- i've done this before with other dryers without complaint).

I really don't wanna bother my landlord about this. Is there a good site/article/message describing what this might be and how I might go about fixing this?

thanks much.

Reply to
deuedrop

I don't know how it could happen but I suppose a coin could have gotten stuck in the area near the door.

The front of the drum on most dryers rides on a felt like material. If you use a mirror and look around the edges inside the door you will see what I mean. Maybe a coin got in that area. I can't imagine how but strange things happen.

Reply to
HRL

Had that happen with a paper clip once.....

Reply to
Red Neckerson

Hi,

Change often also gets into the plastic drum baffles on the drum and makes noises, there should be screws on the outside of the drum to remove them, power off first!

Possible something is now caught in one of the drum seals or felt supports ( front and back ).....hopefully the belt didn't slip and is now rubbing something that is shouldn't be rubbing.

No model# or make posted so directing you towards some info would be difficult.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

Aha! this was the issue. I found a site that had a little slideshow that walked me through how to disassemble the dryer... For my model, you: a) remove two screws near the lint screen on top of the dryer b) pop two tabs on the front which allow the top of the dryer to flip back c) remove two screws that join the front face to the sides d) lift the front face up and off

This done, i was able to see that the main belt that turns the drum had jumped off slightly and was rubbing against a bracket... thanks for the comments

Reply to
deuedrop

Glad to hear you got somewhere with the dryer :)

Thankx for the update!

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff