Haunted Post Lamp

I have taken my post lamp apart and put it back together four times.

Symptoms are on and off at irregular intervals.

I replaced the bulb so it is not a bad filament.

I have taken the unit completely apart and checked all the connections within the lamp holder and retighten each of the wire nuts and taped those connections.

I replaced the light sensor and the problem continues.

I look out and it is lit; then I look out later and it is out.

I wonder if the circuit breaker might be opening and closing

Anyone have any suggestions ?

TIA George in Winter Haven, FL

Reply to
barbarow

Clean the contacts on the base of the bulb and the corresponding contacts on the lamp holder. Clean them with a file or some fine sandpaper. Then clean them with a solvent to get rid of any oil or grease.

Chances are high that some corrosion of those contacts is causing the problem -- a combination of thermal expansion and tiny arcs and maybe more will cause the kind of effects you've described.

I've had at least a couple of haunted lamps that were successfully exorcised by the procedure I've described!

Of course, this problem can arise anywhere there's a contact but it tends to happen at the bulb/lamp holder interface because the hot/cold cycles stimulate corrosion there. Makes sense, yes?

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

Hi, Have you replaced lamp socket?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Amen!

Many of these things use hollow rivets to hold things together and carry the juice. A little corrosion and you have a "blinking" mess.

Reply to
John Gilmer

A motion sensor? Isn't the light *supposed* to come on if it "sees" something move? All sorts of things move...burglars and home invaders...cats and rabbits...falling branches and rain...

Reply to
dadiOH

A loose connection anywhere in the system will cause this. The lamp socket is suspect, as the wires are attached by rivets and as John Gilmer said, often become loose, or anealled. You also mention a "sensor", remove it from the circuit to prove that it's not the cause of the problem

RBM

on 10/7/2007 11:15 PM barbarow said the following:

Car headlights passing by, activating the light sensor so the lamp turns off?

Reply to
willshak

Maybe not in a post light. I would think it senses dark to come on at night and shut off in the morning.

Reply to
Meat Plow