Hauling With A Chain

Page 2 of 2
The hooks will make the chain much more versatile, and I'd guess you will get your money's worth out of the hooks. Very wise choice. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I'd forgotten about the possibility of the chain getting permanently stuck from knotting. Years ago I found an old chain in the barn which had a big tangled knot on the end. I guess someone else didn't have a hook handy many years ago. I managed to get it unstuck with a hammer and channel locks. Not that I needed the chain for anything at the time, it was just a big metal puzzle.
I picked up two chain hooks with clevis pins at Home Depot this evening for about $5 each. They're rated at about two tons so they should do the job.
Paul

solid ground where I can saw it up. I have a long chain but it doesn't have chain hooks on the ends. Will it hold if I wrap it around the trunk a few times then do a double knot with it? It seems like the links of the chain s hould grab onto each other as the pulling starts and keep it from slipping.
You might not get the knot undone is my experience.
The best way failing a hook is to wrap the chain round several times and secure with fencing wire threaded through the links a few times and twisted up. Cut off afterwards.

o solid ground where I can saw it up. I have a long chain but it doesn't ha ve chain hooks on the ends. Will it hold if I wrap it around the trunk a fe w times then do a double knot with it? It seems like the links of the chain should grab onto each other as the pulling starts and keep it from slippin g.

Wrong. It will work but is a lot more time consuming and "nuisancy" than any mentions.
The RIGHT way is put hooks on it...which he did.
Harry K
Pavel314 wrote:

If you just wrap it, it will unwrap. It will hold if you make a clove hitch.
Also if you use a shackle; or a nut and bolt; or even with a piece of rebar stuck through links and secured so it doesn't slide out.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On Monday, April 1, 2013 4:22:40 PM UTC-4, Pavel314 wrote:

solid ground where I can saw it up. I have a long chain but it doesn't have chain hooks on the ends. Will it hold if I wrap it around the trunk a few times then do a double knot with it? It seems like the links of the chain s hould grab onto each other as the pulling starts and keep it from slipping.
Surely you live somewhere near a Home Depot or Lowes. They have chain hooks for $8 each or less. It's a one-time expense and when you're done you have a much more useful chain.
On 04/02/2013 11:30 AM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

That or just use a bolt, washers, and nut to make a loop in the chain. (grade 5 or better though)
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
On Tuesday, April 2, 2013 11:35:37 AM UTC-4, Nate Nagel wrote:

Of course now that I've thought about it some, I bet this "chain" is probably just lightweight decorative chain that will snap like a kite string when he tries to move the log with it.
On Tuesday, April 2, 2013 12:38:45 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

just lightweight decorative chain that will snap like a kite string when he tries to move the log with it.
No, it's 5/16" link with a two-ton load limit.
Pavel314 wrote:

Why the question?
A chain hook added to your existing chain can be done for two or three bucks.

I wish. I wouldn't trust any hook that only cost $3 to pull a tree.
Harry K
That sounds like hard won wisdom Wish "kids now days" understood that kind of thing. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .

I wish. I wouldn't trust any hook that only cost $3 to pull a tree.
Harry K

(snip)
Unbelievable. All these posts over such a simple matter. If the chain dont have hooks on the ends, buy some hooks. They cost around $5 each, and take 2 minutes to install. Or spend $30 or more to buy a new Log Chain that already comes with hooks.
It's not rocket science. With a proper chain that has hooks, put the chain around the log, use the hook on that end to fasten it, hook the other end to a 4WD truck or a tractor, or your harnessed mule or draft horse and pull.....