Hauling With A Chain

o solid ground where I can saw it up. I have a long chain but it doesn't ha ve chain hooks on the ends. Will it hold if I wrap it around the trunk a fe w times then do a double knot with it? It seems like the links of the chain should grab onto each other as the pulling starts and keep it from slippin g.

Or spend a few bucks for one of those 'add a link' where one leg of the link scews open, or one that slips on then gets pound flat, etc. A few moments in the 'chain' area of any hardware store will give a lot of easy solutions.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

The standard method is "sling" on one end, "grab" on the other.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

No, the best bet is to use a clevis, repair link, etc that is DESIGNED to take the load. I cut firewood and have over 400 ft of various chains, cables, tow straps, etc. and I gaurantee you I would never use a bolt for that purpose. The right thing is available for not much money in any hardware store in the chain section.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

solid ground where I can saw it up. I have a long chain but it doesn't have chain hooks on the ends. Will it hold if I wrap it around the trunk a few times then do a double knot with it? It seems like the links of the chain s hould grab onto each other as the pulling starts and keep it from slipping.

Surely you live somewhere near a Home Depot or Lowes. They have chain hooks for $8 each or less. It's a one-time expense and when you're done you have a much more useful chain.

Reply to
dennisgauge

That or just use a bolt, washers, and nut to make a loop in the chain. (grade 5 or better though)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Of course now that I've thought about it some, I bet this "chain" is probably just lightweight decorative chain that will snap like a kite string when he tries to move the log with it.

Reply to
dennisgauge

just lightweight decorative chain that will snap like a kite string when he tries to move the log with it.

No, it's 5/16" link with a two-ton load limit.

Reply to
Pavel314

Why the question?

A chain hook added to your existing chain can be done for two or three bucks.

Reply to
HeyBub

o solid ground where I can saw it up. I have a long chain but it doesn't ha ve chain hooks on the ends. Will it hold if I wrap it around the trunk a fe w times then do a double knot with it? It seems like the links of the chain should grab onto each other as the pulling starts and keep it from slippin g.

Wrong. It will work but is a lot more time consuming and "nuisancy" than any mentions.

The RIGHT way is put hooks on it...which he did.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

I wish. I wouldn't trust any hook that only cost $3 to pull a tree.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

I wish. I wouldn't trust any hook that only cost $3 to pull a tree.

Harry K

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

(snip)

Unbelievable. All these posts over such a simple matter. If the chain dont have hooks on the ends, buy some hooks. They cost around $5 each, and take 2 minutes to install. Or spend $30 or more to buy a new Log Chain that already comes with hooks.

It's not rocket science. With a proper chain that has hooks, put the chain around the log, use the hook on that end to fasten it, hook the other end to a 4WD truck or a tractor, or your harnessed mule or draft horse and pull.....

Reply to
generic