Has everyone given-up on GG?

Page 2 of 3
Kurt Ullman, DerbyDad03, N8N, Tegger & Bob Villa wrote

WWW.
Not necessarily. It's much easier to infect a machine with a virus through a newsreader like Outlook Distress than it is reading via Google.
Given that Google sucks and I can't find a message that I wanted to respond to about Reagan's Alzheimer's disease and how such diseases manifest themselves very slowly and intermittently at first. He could have easily had serious symptoms YEARS before an official diagnosis and everything I've read indicates that's precisely what happened with him. Those closest to him noticed something was "off" and could have simply interpreted it as fatigue, stress and general old age.
I think those who've dealt with "creeping dementia" of any kind realize this to be true. I have to wonder "did I really read it and Google can't find it or am I misremembering the thread?" <sigh>
-- Bobby G.

Not necessarily. They don't want infestations so lock everything down they possibly can. The usually have no idea what NNTP is.

Same difference. If Usenet was something that the company found useful, they would have made it available.

Discriminatory. If you can fuck off at work on the internet, you should be able to fuck off on Usenet. Have white collar workers tested this in court?
--Vic
On 07/01/2011 10:01 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

Hah. don't get me started on "the company" and "do you really need (AutoCAD, a functional network connection, whatever) to do your job?"
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

== How can one access Usenet if the ISP says NO NNTP permitted? A web based access as through Google is my only option as far as I know. ==

Grammar police intervention: "Given-up" with a hyphen is a compound noun. You want "given up", no hyphen, which is a verb with a preposition.
Incorrect use of hyphens is one of the most frequent grammar sins.
Now go and sin no more <g>
HB
On 7/1/2011 8:24 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Yepper. I miss the old days, when they didn't even realize they HAD a Usenet feed. The kids today that run the LAN, smile indulgently and nod a couple times when you talk about the old days of the pre-GUI world, and then remember someplace else they need to be.
--
aem sends...

On 07/01/11 8:04 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

Objection: Relevance
As I said in a previous post:
Whether or not a company wants someone using Usenet on company time is a discussion for a different thread.
It is not relevant to the discussion of whether people use GG because they are "too stupid or lazy" (as notbob claims) or that there is no other good reason than blocked NNTP ports (as nate claims).
Using GG due to the lack of any other means of accessing Usenet is a valid reason.

Of course it is relevant. You were using this as an illustration of " a good reason". If the Company doesn't want to take the time and effort to allow Usenet on their computers, then doing so using company resources is hardly a good reason for having web-based version available.

On 07/01/11 10:05 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

It is absolutely *not* relevant to *this* discussion.
This discussion is related only to the reasons for using GG vs. a newsreader client, not to whether it is proper to access Usenet via company resources.
nate stated that there is no other "good reason" to use GG other than if NNTP ports are blocked. NNTP ports aside, a "good reason" to use GG is if there is no other method of accessing Usenet available. i.e. no newsreader client.
The reason why no other method is available does not enter into the discussion as to whether or not there is a good (read: valid) reason to use GG vs. a newsreader client. The mere fact that there is no other method available is the only relevant fact in determining whether there is a valid reason to use GG vs. a newsreader client. I'll repeat that last part to make sure my point is understood: "vs. a newsreader client".
I never said that "using company resources" is a good reason to use GG.
I said that not having access to any other method of accessing Usenet is a good reason to use GG.
As I have said many times, any discussion as to whether accessing Usenet while at work is using company resources improperly is a subject unto itself and not related to whether or not there is a good reason to use GG vs. a newsreader client.
On 7/1/2011 7:45 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Ours also locks out GG, and they just recently realized they had accidently UNlocked commercial web-mail interfaces for a while. USB ports are also locked out, and they took away the DVD burning software. I have to do a ten-step voodoo to be able to burn even a simple CD. They make my PC any more secure, the only thing it will be good for is a doorstop. They may as well put us all back on dumb terminals.
-- aem sends...
On 07/01/11 11:05 PM, aemeijers wrote:

That's almost humorous!
The locked down version of IE8 that we have has trouble accessing certain external sites. Since I need those sites to service my clients (well, just one big one actually) they gave me an exception and installed FireFox.
However, since all of the internal apps were written for IE, they don't work on FF, and I have to switch back and forth between 2 browsers to get my work done.
Those that have never worked in a locked down, pre-configured, corporate environment, especially those that like to go a little deeper than the casual user, should really count their blessings. Knowing that there are certain capabilities and features lying just out of reach can be rather frustrating sometimes.

They allow us USB sticks and CD/DVD writers but the Internet is locked down tighter than Gitmo (so tight it often doesn't work at all). Not that it's done any good, the idiots still get malware. I don't work for the government, either.

This part of the thread makes a good point.
My wife works for a bank. In the interests of security, they've locked down just about everything on all employees' machines, including the ability to change the desktop wallpaper. Installing programs is totally out of the question. Port 80 is open, but any sites even remotely having to do with messaging (Hotmail, Yahoo,) are blocked, as are any streaming sites and just about everything else, it seems. Webmail needs to be specifically enabled, and few are deemed qualified to receive it. My wife has never tried to use Google Groups, so I don't know if they allow that.
--
Tegger

There are others, you know. XNews, for instance, is about as simple as it gets.
--
Tegger

I was looking at that yesterday. I think I will be giving it a try.
Harry K

Why not?...it works and it's free and no where near as convoluted nor over featured as the wretched newsreaders I have looked at and passed on.
Joe

Do they pretend that it is? Did Dejanews pretend too?

Bob Villa wrote the following:

Not for those that actually pay for newsgroup access. You want free access, then accept what they give you. I pay for full access. I have 382 messages in the last 4 days.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY