Has everyone given-up on GG?

Page 1 of 3
Nothing for 4 days!
On 6/29/2011 10:56 AM, Bob Villa wrote:

Google gave up on Google Groups. Time to get yourself a newsreader and subscribe to a newsserver. Usenet: the way it was meant to be.

Google Groups is NOT Usenet, no matter how much Brin and Page want to pretend that it is.
There's lots of Usenet access available that runs on proper NNTP, not WWW. Why read your Usenet through Google's censored, bloated, ad-laden Web portal?
--
Tegger

Too stupid/lazy to actually learn a better way.
nb
--
vi ...the root of evil

If you have Outlook Express, just set it up to use "news.eternal-september.org" That's what I did awhile back when Cox dumped Usenet. It's free, and works just as good as the old Cox usenet provider.

I'm not a fan of M$ and OE, but I agree it's better than using GG.
(no, I'm not a songwriter)
nb

You guys make some very broad assumptions. Everyone doesn't necessarily have the same usage patterns and needs that you do. And that certainly does not make them stupid. As an example, I travel frequently and can access my newsgroups through Google Groups through any computer that has web access. There is computer access to the internet at most hotels and airport lounges and they do not have Outlook Express or any other client based newsreader on them.

What I find particularly offensive is how Google's group search makes you choose between "site or domain" and "Google Groups". The inference is that Google controls what they call "Google Groups". Nowhere do Brin and Page even hint that "Google Groups" is simply pulling its feed from Usenet, which is entirely separate from Google.
But then again, since Google bought the old DejaNews archive years ago, I guess they DO control at least Usenet's past, which would probably be generally undiscoverable absent Deja's archival efforts.
Hey Brin, you ex(?)-Commie, you're surely aware of what George Orwell had one of his characters say once: "Who controls the past controls the future; who controls the present controls the past". Is that your ultimate goal?
--
Tegger

Another opinion that isn't grounded in reality. The search window on Google does not make you choose between "site or domain" and google groups. What it has are two choices for
A - Search within this group
B - Search all groups.
That means do I want to limit the search to alt.home.repair or extend it to all the other newsgroups, eg alt.autos.mercedes, etc.
The inference is that

Yeah? This is what I see: <http://groups.google.com/advanced_search?q=&
--
Tegger

The advanced search page offers as options the ability to search within Google Groups or within a particular domain. Those are OPTIONS. You can do any search without putting anything in those fields in which case it will search everywhere. They do not MAKE you choose either of those to do a search, which is what you claimed. You have a problem with people having choices? What's next, bitching because they allow you to limit the search by date too?

But those groups are not "Google Groups", they are Usenet groups. Google calls them "Google Groups" to fool you into thinking they run Usenet. That's my whole point.
--
Tegger

This coming from the guy who a few days ago was spewing forth about how the law says that someone who hits another car from behind is always, 100% at fault, no ifs ands or buts. When asked to produce such a law, of course none was forthcoming and I together with a few others here provided plenty of links to law enforcement and lawers who say you're simply wrong.
So, do you know as much about Google and the internet as you do about law?

Gee, that's too bad. I was about to say some real nice things about you. Oh well...
Joe

== You are so full of shit. ==
On 06/29/11 10:37 PM, notbob wrote:

Have you considered that there are users who are forced to use GG because newsreader clients are not allowed on some locked down corporate machines, such as mine?
I have a newsreader on my home machine (and I'm using it right now) but it's more convenient to use one method as opposed to switching back and forth depending on whether I'm at home or not.
It's much easier to keep track of the threads I'm interested in when presented with the same interface regardless of where I read a.h.r.
Please don't bother tossing out comments like "Well, you shouldn't be reading a.h.r at work if they won't allow usenet access." That's a subject for an entirely different thread. My comments are related only to your response "Too stupid/lazy to actually learn a better way". There are actually other valid reasons why someone would use GG.
As to those that state that they won't see any posts that come from GG, so be it. The fact that they don't see my posts is their loss, not mine.

And you completely avoided Derby's main point, which was that he uses GG because he can't install a newsreader at work. Another excellent example of why some of us use Google and a one size solution for all doesn't work.

When on a network that blocks NNTP ports.
Otherwise, no good reason.
nate
On 07/01/11 10:31 AM, N8N wrote:

Once again, I post another "good reason":
Some locked-down corporate images do not allow the installation of news reader applications or even the news reader portion of email clients that include them.

Which indicates that they don't want you using Usenet on Company time.